Interview with Scott Tolleson

Scott Tolleson is a busy man. Scott Tolleson is a very productive man. In a span of only a few years, he has self-produced a decent number of toy releases, as well as collaborations with brands and producers to put vinyl, resin, plush and now even metal coins - to add to his portfolio of works. The sense of self-production is often a glossed-over 'fact' that folks might not recognize. Tis not about 'deep-pockets' but of the ability to ensure your own production comes out smelling daisies, and seems Scott's toys smells swell!

Nominated and shortlisted in this years Designer Toy Awards for "Best Artist" - we have a catchup interview with Scott, before his tenure at the coming San Diego Comic Con (www) and ho-by does he have toys galore! Onwards!

TOYSREVIL: I will always remember the "Tricycle Terror" era, for when you kindly sponsored a giveaway on my humble blog, and for me initially being amazed by the sculpt, and how closely it resembled the 2D-illustration. (I even did a Q&A with you about her circa 2008). Was that the start of your toy-making "legacy"?

SCOTT TOLLESON: First and foremost, thanks for having me on the couch Andy.  Long Live TRE!

Yeah, Tricycle Terror was a great project for me.  It was my first attempt at a self-produced "toy".  I say "toy" because it's really a resin piece with no articulation or playability.  During production, I learned a lot about working with factories, project managing, production schedules, wholesaling, etc.  All in all, it was worth the time and attention as I was able to transfer what I learned to future projects.


TOYSREVIL: A "self-taught" toy-man = I like that! Why "resin" then? And shortly afters, you released Big Rollin' Rascal for SDCC 2009 (I see a "pattern" immersing - SDCC releases!). And why do you self-produce your own toys? How did it all start, and how is that working out for you?

SCOTT TOLLESON: Using resin for Tricycle Terror and Big Rollin' Rascal was really my only option.  Both of those pieces are so detailed with many undercuts throughout that to produce these in PVC would have cost a small fortune.  Resin seems to do the best job at capturing sharp details in pieces which is another reason why I chose resin.

I self-produce my own toys because I find the entire process fun and rewarding.  I suppose you could say I'm passionate about making toys.  Other than my family, it's the one thing I think about non-stop.  "I want to make that!  Let's make this!  What would this sketch look like as a toy!  Resin, vinyl or plush?"  Seriously, it's every day!  The scariest part of self-producing is the risk.  I've had a few sleepless nights where I toss and turn in bed wondering if I made a huge mistake dropping a few K on something nobody's going to want.  Lucky for me, I have an amazing fan base that supports me and keeps pushing me to do more.

TOLLESON-ComputerDesk-1
TOLLESON-ComputerDesk-2

TOYSREVIL: Your passion for toys is amazing - and to me, is very evident in the production quality it shows too - now "jumping on a bandwagon" - but more riding your own carriage, IMHO. I only ever have a Tricycle Terror from you tho, and it is amazing! When Doc Von Block appeared on your toy-horizon, I thought "cool!" and was amazed someone decided to wooden toys as production pieces. Did it go down well with the masses? Or was it too early too soon a pioneering effort?

SCOTT TOLLESON: Did it go down well with the masses?  I suppose?  I've always loved wood toys, especially antiques that were created for toddlers.  Pull toys, trains, puppets etc.  With DVB I wanted to try my hand at wood toys and see what happened.  It was an experiment that turned out to be successful.  I would love to make more wood productions in the future.  We'll see.

TOLLESON-VON-BLOCKS

TOYSREVIL: I felt your earlier pieces possessed a certain sense of Americana-styled cartooning in the depiction, and it as only until the release of your Major Minnow that I saw a "cuter" big-eyed charming cartooning-haracter style image into the forefront (of course they might be already present in earlier 2D-depictions). Was this a natural progression of your art?

SCOTT TOLLESON: I believe anywhere I go with my art/toys is a natural progression.  My art has always been cartoony and ever-evolving.  Like all artists, I go through phases.  I often don't realize the direction my art is going until people point it out to me.  I think the "cute" phase came to the forefront when my wife and I started talking about having kids.  Now that I have a 2-year old I think the "cute" has been kicked into full-effect mode.  Haha.  Also, I've been very nerdcore lately.  This is so natural for me it comes back around full circle to feel unnatural again.  What does that even mean???

STOLLE-FAMILY

TOYSREVIL: "Nerdcore", to me, is one of the only way of life worth living muhahahahahaha ….. How would you describe your art? Then and/or now? How do you see your art progressing? We are constantly involving ourselves in the 3D-realms we most times forget the 2D-aspect of it - how it is need to start the production going, or how it inspires a toy-design in the first place - or am I glossing over too much here?

TOLLESON-ANDROIDS
[Editor: 2 things I derived from the able pic (A) Scott lures George Gaspar, and (B) What's that wittle yummy figurine?]
TOLLESON-TABLE-GASPAR TOLLESON-TABLE-TOY

SCOTT TOLLESON: Is this a trick question? Ha.  My art is a mix of nerdcore nonsense with a twist of Monster juice.  I love experimenting with colors and shapes and the juxtaposition between the two.  Ultimately, I want my art to be fun loving and convey a sense of playfulness.  Although I do get in moods where I want certain darkness or creepiness to shine through.

Some of my older work when I look back on it is just blech.  When I see some older pieces I'm reminded of my state of mind during the process which was usually "I hope this looks good."  I've gained a little more confidence since then.  Now I'm not so afraid to experiment and try new things.

STOLLE-TOY
[Did you know Scott designed the mascot for DesignerCon?]
STOLLE-DCON

TOYSREVIL: What keeps you going? What inspires you? Who inspires you? Name names, tunes and cartoons!

SCOTT TOLLESON: I don't really know what keeps me going.  Something in my brain just tells me to go!  I've noticed that when I don't have any projects going on I get a little down in the dumps.  Work keeps me happy!

Who inspires me?  Sucklord and Skinner inspire me because they are just Art Rock Stars.  Bwana Spoons, 64Colors, Drilone, Gary Ham, PO!, Abe Lincoln Jr., Cris Rose, Ragnar, MAp MAp, Martin O, Miss Mindy, Buffmonster, Ryniak, Andrew Bell...  Man, I know I am forgetting people.  All these guys inspire me with their art flavor. All amazing artists and friends.  My good friends at Toy Break and The Kelemer Krew inspire me.  They give me great advice and help keep me energized with passion.

Tunes?  I've been a lifelong Pixies fan.  Love me some Black Francis.  Also, dig Interpol, Air, Aphex Twin, Dinosaur Jr., Journey, Pharcyde and Whodini.  Nothing too crazy.  Don't get crazy on me!

Cartoons.  Superjail and Yo Gabba Gabba.  Duh...

TOLLESON-TOYSHELF

TOYSREVIL: This might be off-the-beaten-track, but I have read "unpleasing" commentary of our use of Linda Le aka Vampy in your promos - I am interested to hear your take on that? And of how having her model your toys affect your work? (Also an excuse for me to post more Vampy pics muahahahaha)

SCOTT TOLLESON: Really?  What kind of unpleasing commentary have you heard?  I've read jokes here and there about Linda being featured in my ads via message boards and Facebook.  But that's it really.  I guess it makes sense that some people might have issues with my ads.  But Linda Le rocks!  She is a beautiful, terrific woman who is super fun and easy to work with.  I like working with Linda because she always surprises me with her ideas.  I give her the freedom to what she feels will work best for the ads and I have yet to be disappointed.  We make a great team and I hope to work with her for years to come.

LINDA-LE-PLUSH

TOYSREVIL: We've seen and posted a number of your solo shows (Past The Cosmos @ Screaming Sky, Common Nonsense @ Rotofugi) and they always seem a less of a cybal-clanging-affair from you (which I really enjoy the laid-backness of it all). How are solo shows for you? Inspired or Exhausted? Anything new on the horizon soon?

TOLLESON-PAST-THE-COSMOS

SCOTT TOLLESON: I enjoy doing shows.  They are a tremendous amount of work but ultimately worth it in the end.  I think I spend more time stressing about what pieces I'm going to do than actually doing the work.  Hehe.  I have a show coming up in October at Oh No! Doom in Chicago with Abe Lincoln Jr. and Patricio Oliver.  I'm really excited to go back to Chicago.  I really like the people and the art culture there.  Also, I've been chatting with Ray from Dragatomi about possibly doing a show next year.

TOLLESON-COMMON-NONSENSE

TOYSREVIL: Your fascination for "Argyle" has led you to yet another distinct aspect of your current style, and is seen in custom-toys and production figures alike (Uncle Argh, Androids ec) starting from your Otto and Otis self-produced vinyls - how did that come about? An artist's evolution? Or a design-"gimmick"?

SCOTT TOLLESON: I've always been a fan of the argyle pattern.  I think you could add argyle to just about anything and it will look good.  I think this is why I starting becoming obsessed with using it.  I don't know, maybe it's because I had argyle sweaters as a kid?  Maybe it's the nerd in me?  The first toy I painted with the Argyle stamp was a wood toy from my Stolle's Neighborhood series.  Every since then it just felt right to put that argyle stamp on my toys.  Sometimes it's hidden, sometimes it's huge and in your face.  I don't know how to explain it other than it's like adding the olive to a martini or a cherry to a sundae.  Design-gimmick?  How dare you Andy.  That sounds so negative :P

TOLLESON-ARGYLE-MUGO TOLLESON-ARGYLE-OTTIS


TOYSREVIL: You know I had ask you thank, Scott - much love for your argyle, let there be no doubt about that LOL - From resin to wood, and vinyl and now to plush (with Screaming Sky) and more recently, metal coins? Dude! what is it Scott Tolleson has yet to get into? What's up next for SDCC, NYCC and the rest of the year, and beyond?

SCOTT TOLLESON: I know, it's crazy.  I think I'm good sticking with plush and vinyl for now with small resin runs perhaps in the future.  Speaking of plush, I'm really excited about the Nosellots Line of plush characters.  The first in the line "Lyle Bean" is being released at SDCC.  Also!!! I will have the production sample of the second character "Bernie Cotton" on hand to show off.  He will be available later this year.  Hopefully in time for Designer-Con.  Lots of Nosellots planned.  It's going to get exciting!

STOLLE-PLUSH-01 STOLLE-PLUSH-TEASE
TOLLESON-UNCLE-ARGH-QEE TOLLESON-UNCLE-ARGH-BOX

SCOTT TOLLESON: Also at SDCC this year I will have my first Qee available for the first time, Uncle Argh.  He is a Mini-Qee.  I really like how these turned out and it's been a blast working with Toy2R to make this toy become a reality.  I hope to do more with them in the future!

I will have some custom Androids available, a new color way of Otis and Otto vinyl twinsies, a NEW just off the boat Vinyl Toy called Chipster (More details on him later), and I'm one of five artists who contributed to the Pocket Change Artist coin series.  All of this stuff and MORE will be available at booth #4836!

SCOTT-TOLLESON-TOYBREAK-01
[Scott toy-spills all in a recent interview on Toy Break Episode 175 (screengrabs via)
…and say hello to CHIPSTER! Did you notice the all-clear Chipster above?]

STOLLE-CHIPSTER


SCOTT TOLLESON: After that it's show mode.  I have to get cracking on pieces for the Oh No! Doom show!  Then maybe a break.  OH, no break.  I have to get ready for Designer Con after that.  In between there somewhere is a show that has yet to be announced at TAG in Hollywood.  I have to get on that too.  Sheesh!

TOYSREVIL: And just Who is Scott Tolleson?

SCOTT TOLLESON: I'm the hometown hero, the Master Blaster of Funtown, the one they call "The Argyle Warrior", who stands for the right to spew and paint creative gibberish across a Milky Way of empty canvas.  I wear a blank stare but what lies behind is a rainbow-colored tiger with a limitless appetite.

Not really.  I'm pretty boring.  I just like to make my arts and toys.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK