Toy-Review: Deadly Ninja Monkey (Black as Night Edition) from Hyperactive Monkey

NINJA-MONKEY-01
NINJA-MONKEY-02

This Deadly Ninja Monkey The Black as Night Edition is designed by Jerome Lu of Hyperactive Moneky, featuring sculptwork by Squid Kids Ink and manufactured by Mana Studios - this vinyl figurine comes bagged with header-card, and requires some assembly = which proves to be a fun endeavor, as well as a slightly perturbing one because of the result.

Standing 5-inches tall when assembled, the figure also comes with 2 removable katana blades and a signed 4” x 6” mini print. You can currently purchase it online via hyperactivemonkey.bigcartel.com for US$35 per. (The shop also currently lists an all-white edition, while the Purple A.P.E. Edition is listed as Sold Out).

I like the character design. And it matches all aspects of Jerome's illustrations to a decent-"T", although I wonder if a series of smaller-scaled PVC versions would give the design a better chance to shine thru. Nevertheless kudos for him getting his character made and getting it out there!

NINJA-MONKEY-03

The limbs and tail all slot easily together into the body/torso, as does the head - which is a little "loose" for my tastes, but perhaps a round of additional tape at the joint-peg would help the tightness. This massive articulation ability proves to be the highlight of the figure, as you can literally "play" with it - and I do not care if I am a grown-ass-adult LOL! Unfortunately the "tail" is s ingle piece of vinyl and is unbendable, but the designed curves provide it a certain depth-of-motion, so that's alright by my book.

This is an all-black vinyl construct, with posted-sticker for eyes, and is as utilitarian a piece of toy figurine as you can get.

NINJA-MONKEY-04

While hardly the epitome of vinyl engineering and manufacture (which by no means diminishes the character design), the unrefined aspect of the sculpt does lend a spirit of "rough-n-ready" to the figurine, and allows it to be had in "play", without the "fear" of chipping at the figure.

The only glaring "negative" that eats at me, is the roughness of the katana's production. The "pointed edge" of both blades are pretty uneven with a glob of excess vinyl at both ends, and as well look hastily "chopped" (from a piece of plastic) - which makes for a less-than-stellar visual enjoyment of the toy. Frankly, it makes it look "cheap".

Also, I have zero idea why there is a literal hole at it's top-back - which I initially imagined it to be a spot for putting the katanas out back (which would look immensely cool, IMHO) but alas there seems no way that could happen - unless I am missing a piece which both slots in the blades and attaches to the back. The existence of that hole - while not impeding my joy of play - is a visual eye-sore and keeps me wondering what it is about, when instead I should be pondering about how much more fun I would be having with the toy, IMHO.

One thing tho, I'll be looking forward to customizing this figure whenever I possibly can!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK