Milestones

The notion of "milestones" popped into my thoughts yesterday. About my own milestones thru the years, and how they have described my own path, and determined my journey from age to age.

"Milestones". Most times they are a mark of a person's own achievements and triumphs, and frankly are more self-serving notions of acknowledgements versus, say, winning the Nobel Peace Price or scoring that Oscar. But that is not the rule cast in concrete nor a star on the pavements of Hollywood Walk, is it? So for all intents and purposes, let us all selfishly embraced our milestones, shall we? Well, at least the duration of this blog-post.

I have never been one to consider 'milestones'. Or even if I did, it probably would be pegged to my work - come to think of it, it most likely would be. I was a workaholic, and I think I still am a workaholic. I considered myself to being pretty 'ambitious' before, but did not have the tenacity to follow thru to the bitter end.

Climbing peaks and waving flags, but inevitably I miss reaching the submit and planting the flag in, before I got distracted or disappointed, and moving on to the next conquest of self and ability. I made my journey upwards another mountain, with the 'discovery' of cyberspace, and of bloggery. (And no, Friendster and MySpace do not count).

SANITZE_ME

Poetically, I will claim my milestone in 2005 was starting up the TOYSREVIL-blog on February 19th (I had always claimed I started it to impress a girl, but I've had numerous online venues before this blogspot ;p). It was not until a year or so later of blogging about local weather, "random thoughts and "musings" about my lot in life and work, and being "angry" for no other reason besides being in transition of post-post-teen-angst, was when I decided to go full-steam into blogging about pop culture+design, and to the determent of my financially-insecure woe-betide blogging career; eventually focusing on "art toys".

Funnily, I started out blogging without the notion at all to profit from it (Ah yes, those were wondrous, foolish years of being gainful employed by others, indeed …) - until right at this point in my life,it is the only thing being able to sustain me, Post-Stroke. But more on that later in this post ...

I forget the exact day, (although it might well be November 12th, 2005 but I am no longer sure as much as my senility takes over me) but i do admit one of my earlier milestones then, was a few years of blogging anonymously in the blogosphere about toys, and cold-emailing a whole bunch of folks introducing myself and my blog, and it's intentions. Some folks replied, some did not. Some folks had remained staunch supporters thru the years, some have chosen to drift away or gravitate towards other entities.

Nevertheless, the notion of starting from "Square One" had always been a burden on my shoulders, but thru the years, I had learnt to shed that burden (altho not 100% I do admit) and embraced the joys of making "friends" around the world, wherever they may be! This had proved more "fulfilling-new-path" than "tragic-failure at-my-previous-chosen-career", I insist, and I pursued it until today.


The explicit milestone of the "start" of my blogging career being accepted internationally, was in late-ish 2008, when I received a CORALINE box from Laika. Numbered 23 out of 50 boxes sent out - I reckon I was one of the only few (or "only" one, that I know of anyways) that was not based in the United States, to have received a box.

I could scarcely believe my fortune, truth be told, but the acknowledgement was tremendous in pushing me beyond my then day-to-day. Later in 2009, I managed to get the author and creator of Coraline; Neil Gaiman to sign my box too - when he was in Singapore for a Writer's Festival!

I am a believer in "full-circles", and having this done had a huge impact on me, least of all boost my confidence in continuing with blogging.

TOYSREVIL-TRAVEL

What would have been yet another milestone in my blogging career thus far, was being invited and flown to both Thailand and Jakarta for events in 2011. This was the accumulation of my efforts for all these years, manifested unto this opportunity.

Truth be told, blogging about toys (for me anyways) earns a paltry "spare-change" in the scheme of LIFE. It does not pay the bills, but it affords a slight reprieve and a semblance of 'function', beyond patting my own self-ego. And the chance to travel (and being paid to travel), is the closest thing I wish for - and it happened, and I was esthetic!

SURVIVING-STROKE

But no doubt any achievements I had, was overshadowed by me falling to Stroke, on October 22nd, scarily a month after my return trip from Jakarta. I always "joked" that both the overseas trip had led to my falling into the fourth highest "killer" in Singapore - and perhaps it was partially true - along with my horrendous lifestyle and blogging times - it might have pushed my body system to the limits, and I could not sustain it. (Frankly, I do feel 'lucky' Stroke happened to me while I was back in SG, and not overseas, yeh? That would have been devastating).

Milestone for 2010? "Surviving Stroke", and wheeling home on Christmas Eve. A lot of folks still do not know what Stroke is, and even belittle the hard work I had done to achieve survival, but nevertheless - I aim to change the former, while the latter? Well, I'll just move on with my own life, without the need to justify my efforts, while the naysayers live out their own, neither crossing paths or trading acknowledgement.

BEST-BLOG

The year of 2011 is rapidly coming to a close soon. Post-Stroke, I had made sure this particular year was a bevy of activity (no doubt brought on by my 2-month tenure lying in hospital bed) accumulated in winning the BEST BLOG in the 2011 Designer Toy Awards.

I had mixed feelings about the win.

My initial thoughts were: "Pity Vote?" - But my doubts were soothed by the notion that this was a "Public Voted" prize, and of the heartfelt congratulations I had received both online and offline. This was an award directly connected to this blog, and that was as important to me for pushing forward to bloggery, than just a claim to fame and possessing a shiny trophy.

and I like that trophy too, I will not lie. I do not own a lot of trophies in life. In fact, i think this is the only one I own.

A sweet cherry (ironically I had be a newly discovered 'mild' diabetic post-Stroke ;p) on top of my efforts, I surmise.

WORLD-STROKE-DAY

But what I considered to be the ultimate milestone in 2011, was being able to present a cheque to the Singapore National Stroke Association during World Stroke Day in October 29th. It was a personal initiative, supported by well-meaning and generous folks, that made it "work". Something I had been able to achieve thru my blog, to benefit others completely outside of my cyber-world.

In reality, this milestone is not mine alone, but shared with folks who had been a part of this project, in one way or another. And that notion puts a smile on my face and warms my heart deeply. No kudos needed, no trophies given. This must have been the most self-serving notion I have had all these years, and if that be the case? Than I'd rather be "selfish" for a while longer.

"Milestones" might seem "over-rated" to some folks, but living your life to the fullest, and realizing your potential and working towards fulfilling it, is sometimes left forgotten, as we race against ourselves hoping to score something else entirely. We might end up helping others achieve their own milestones - nothing wrong with that notion at all, I insist - but let not our own milestones be left behind at the bottom of the mountain.

But 2011 is not over yet! There's still AFA next weekend, and the plan to take a break in December (a plan I know will not work LOL).

Who knows what lies await in 2012? I certainly don't, and frankly, am looking forward to be conquering new challenges to come!

Cheers
Andy
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK