Daniel Yu for 'We Set The Pace' @ The Substation

WE-SET-THE-PACE-02 WE-SET-THE-PACE-01
WE-SET-THE-PACE-DANIEL-YU

Only the day before I posted images of the exhibition for 'We Set The Pace: A Retrospective of Stompin' Ground' - now happening at The Substation. Today we have a closer look specifically at the 1/6th-scaled figures on show, from local customizer Daniel Yu, along with a quick Q&A!

TOYSREVIL: Which era were you basing the figures from? Or are they a fictional concept of the band?

DANIEL YU: I didn't base all of them off a specific era per say, but rather I tried to amalgamate the most iconic looks of each member and develop that into a unique figure. Suhaimi handed me lots of reference pictures from their career and that was really helpful.

DANIEL-YU-HAFIDZ
DANIEL-YU-SUHAIMI
DANIEL-YU-IMRAN
DANIEL-YU-AYONG

TOYSREVIL: Were you distinctively following photos of them for your headsculpt? Or fictionalizing them?

DANIEL YU: As mentioned, I had lots of reference pictures on hand when sculpting the pieces, I tried to "extract" the essence of each member and integrate that into the sculpt. Hafidz for instance struck me as a very intense, headstrong character and I wanted to reflect that in his expression.

TOYSREVIL: Are these the first 1/6 customs you are exhibiting in public?

DANIEL YU: Back in SMU I did do a 1/6 scale figure as part of an exhibition, so no this isn't my 1st 1/6 figure on display. [Click here to view full-screen slideshow of Daniel's work]

DANIEL-YU-SYED

TOYSREVIL: Who is Stompin' Grounds to you? How/Why were you involved in this exhibition? Are you a closet hardcore music / Stompin' Ground-fan?

DANIEL YU: I was approached by Razi Razak, the curator of the show, to be a part of this retrospective. I do listen to metal/hardcore music but in all honesty, I didn't know who Stompin' Ground was before I was introduced to Suhaimi; when they started making waves in the 90s I was still a kid and oblivious to the music scene. In any case, I'm grateful to both Razi and Suhaimi for getting me involved in the show, I think in a way it's also helped introduce Stompin Ground to a new generation of listeners.

WE-SET-THE-PACE-03

WE SET THE PACE ends it's exhibition tonight at 9pm @ The Substation. Drop by and catch it if you can, or head on to THIS dedicated Facebook album to see images I snapped of the exhibition.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK