GOODBYE2012/HELLO2013: Ritzy Periwinkle

TOYSREVIL: Share with us your most triumphant moment in 2012.

RITZY PERIWINKLE: Hands down my most triumphant moment of 2012, of my entire life actually, is when I gave birth to Kanoa Jae, my little dragon vampire prairie bear, my son. He’s my greatest collabo creation ever! That little man is the best thing I will ever do in life, period.

My partner and I opted to keep the news and photos off of social media since I had a difficult pregnancy. I also feel weird about posting photos of my son on the interwebs for anyone to see or worse, use. This is the only photo I have posted. It is of his cute feet on my arm one early morning.

RITZY PERIWINKLE: An art related triumphant moment is when one of my favorite pieces, “And you will know me by the trail of dead” found a great home. I love that piece and when Art Whino informed me that it had sold I reached out to the buyer and he was super excited. He sent me a photo once it arrived to show me where he displayed it. Always a fantastic feeling when your pieces find good homes.

While I was 9 months pregnant I was able to create a larger version of “And you will know me by the trail of dead” that was 3x larger, about 2ft tall, for the “Purple” exhibit at the Causey Contemporary Gallery in Brooklyn NYC. I took a lot of photos so I could show my son how I created art while he was growing in my belly.

RITZY-SCULPT

TOYSREVIL: What is your most favorite toy, or piece of art you've seen in 2012?

RITZY PERIWINKLE: Piece of art is one I unfortunately have not seen in person but I hope to one day. It is Roger Reutimann’s sculpture “Death of Venus” - it is bronze and automotive paint. I saw a full page ad of his exhibit with that piece in Art News this year and I was like, “I’m in love”.

Also on this list is Purdy’s aka The Gentlemen’s Ghost’s “Come Closer” sculpt for the Scary Girl Show. I’m not being biased because he’s an AOS crew member and super close friend. I love all his work but this piece is unique as he introduced color into his sculpt while maintaining his aesthetic. He kills it. He’s always able to tell a story with his pieces where viewer inserts themselves into the scene.

My favorite toy of the year is Mike Egan’s “Bones” … As you can tell I love skulls.

TOYSREVIL: What are you most looking forward to in 2013?

RITZY PERIWINKLE: 2013 will be a huge transition year for me as a new mommie but as well as moving forward with a lot of projects. I was pregnant most of 2012 which limited my workload. i've had to pass on a lot of upcoming exhibits for the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013. I will work in the new year to balance everything.

I will continue with my two podcasts The Nerd Out (thenerdout.com) and Ya’ Heard Show (yaheardshow.com). I am a part of the Art Hustle Series 3 cards coming out and looks like there will be a Ritzy P/AOS/Silent Stage release hopefully in the Spring.

TOYSREVIL: Marisa has been nothing but a swell friend and all-around good person to have your back, since I had the privilege to meet her back in 2011. Check out her works via Ritzyperiwinkle.com, and CLICK HERE for coverage of her works on TOYSREVIL.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK