Justin Rudy for '12 Days of Xmas' (2012)

WHAT: With 12 days leading to Christmas Eve on December 24th (not counting the 21st, when it could be the "End of the World"), I asked 12 friends a series of 12 questions, and I received 12 different sets of answers which delighted me. I hope it delights you, dear readers! The fifth day of TOYSREVIL's "12 Days of Xmas (2012)" sees Justin Rudy in the hot-seat - Read-ON, folks!
QTN#1: Describe in one word, how 2012 has been for you.

JUSTIN RUDY: Expansive. (Not to be confused with expensive. It was that too.)

QTN#2: What is the one thing folks might not know you did in 2012.

JUSTIN RUDY: For those not familiar with me, my name is Justin Rudy (A.K.A J-ROO, A.K.A The Other ROO) I participate in a little company known as Dynomight NYC. Back in the day we released Bumrush, an almost complete set of Cthulhu Juice Crew, and an Our Hero, APPRENTICE!  character that never really got a proper release. It was slightly unorganized in the beginning. We actually have all our crap together for this next release, it's all done and good to go!

Z0MZ [Programmable Minions]  These little guys will be released at the end of December or early January. I haven't decided just yet. I'm also the guy responsible for flooding your Twitter feed with my daily sketches. It was a New Year's resolution. Thank you for putting up my with my bulky posts! It will all be over soon. I promise. :)   

QTN#3: Describe to us yourself in three words.

JUSTIN RUDY: Over The Top.

QTN#4: Take a Picture of yourself sleeping.

JUSTIN RUDY:
sleepingR00

QTN#5: Share with us your proudest piece of work achieved in 2012.

JUSTIN RUDY: My proudest piece of work this year was creating the Z0MZ platform figure. I say this because it's an accumulation of everything I have learned over the past 5 years being involved in the independent toy scene. A tremendous amount of time went into this character. It may look fairly simple, but each straight line was balanced with a curve, and shapes were repeated to give the robot a consistent and pleasing shape about it. It's very complicated making an object look unique and simple while projecting some kind of character about it.

Z0MZ_ProductionRun

JUSTIN RUDY: For me, the size and weight are perfect. It's extremely well balanced, and it really pushes the material being used in some areas. (Like the thin to thick ration around the ankle and the subtle curves in the legs.) It was worth every penny out of my pocket. No Kickstarter was used to pursue this project. I funded it myself the old-fashioned way, by implementing a swear jar. Any of you working in advertising know that dropping an F-bomb is pretty common place in that environment. There are plenty of ridiculous moments happening on a daily basis. I had the Z0MZ project funded by year's end because of it. ;D 

Z0MZ_Rotate

QTN#6: Share with us your most embarrassing facepalm moment in 2012.

JUSTIN RUDY: My facepalm moment this year would have been when I almost had to cancel the Z0MZ project entirely. I lost my job and I needed to divert my funds to living and paying rent. You know, that boring grown-up thing. Effin' responsibilities! (*Puts money in swear jar.*) I decided to take a risk. When would I have an opportunity to do this sort of thing again? That facepalm soon became a high five...to myself! Kids, if you have the means, pursue your dreams. Even if you fail, putting forth the effort is the most important thing. Who knows where it could lead to? Remember, failure is the gateway to success. You aren't getting through those gates unless you put in the effort. 

QTN#7: Which is your single most favorite non-toy-related website in 2012.

JUSTIN RUDY: Geekologie.com. I love me some nerd news! It helps keep the brain sharp.

QTN#8: Better to Tweet It, or Instagram It?

JUSTIN RUDY: Tweet it. I can't stand Instagram. I have my twitter account feeding into my LinkedIn and Facebook accounts. That's all you really need these days. All that other social media is just a diversionary tactic to help a person procrastinate more than they really need to. 

QTN#9: 'Are you an Autobot or a Deception'?

JUSTIN RUDY: I'm a little bit Grimlock and a little bit Soundwave.

QTN#10: What is your most favorite toy or piece of art you've seen in 2012?

JUSTIN RUDY: Too many! I have a 3-way tie for that spot. Erick Scarecrow's Turtum Miccis, J*RYU's Saplings and Jeff Lamms' Mini Greasebat. 

QTN#11: What should folks look out from you in 2013?

JUSTIN RUDY: The Z0MZ! They will be on the loose! Keep an eye out for them. Not many were made. I have the entire inventory sitting here in my living room. They need to go. I have no space to spare. LOL! I hope you enjoy the pieces! They are awesome! Of course my opinion on the matter is completely unbiased. ;D Other than that, I will be focusing more on illustration and design. Toys are expensive to make, and I pretty much spent next years budget on the Z0MZ. I have been looking to expand outside of the toy scene for awhile. This might be the year to do that. 

QTN#12: What are you most looking forward to in 2013?

JUSTIN RUDY: Expanding my illustration skills. I did the custom thing. That was fun. I produced a bunch of toys on my own. That was a tremendous learning experience. I think I'm going to attempt to actually make some finished art pieces next year. Whatever the case may be, it will be more illustration and design promotion. I will have 365 rough sketches by the end of the year. I need to try and work those pieces into the plan as well. We shall see. 2013 will be a mystery. Let's see where it takes us. :)      

Useful Links of Justin Rudy:
Dynomight NYC Facebook Fan Page (LIKE US!): https://www.facebook.com/DynomightNYC
Dynomight NYC: http://www.dynomightnyc.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jroo76
Justin Rudy's Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/j-roo




We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK