"13 Things Which Made My 2013" from QUICCS

WHAT: "Earlier in 2013, I interviewed 13 Creators worth looking out for, and for the end of 2013, I had asked a select few to list "13 Things Which Made My 2013"."
I now present for your reading pleasures, The Philippines-based Juanito Maiquez aka QUICC's list! [This was QUICC's 13 X 2013 Interview earlier in the year]



"13 THINGS WHICH MADE MY 2013" (Words by QUICCS)


(1) Baptism Under Fire

Was always a frustration for me to do Graffiti art way back in the late 90's and early 2000's, so I was deeply excited when Egg Fiasco (One of the best Graff artists in the PH) invited me to take a shot at it back in March. Pressure was high for me since this was my first go at it, and already painting beside the scene's superstar, and the location didn't help either, since it was a high-traffic spot really near Vinyl on Vinyl. I think I did good job (image above), huge part thanks to Egg's guidance :)

Graffiti was all I wanted to do after that session, besides toys of course :D


(2) Kaijus

Got hooked pretty hard on them this year ... But it gave me a nice reason to go toy hunting on a weekly basis, which is a fun activity for me on its own :)


(3) The Red Mutuca Collective

I was very honored to be invited into the bad-ass international Toy Design Collective, Red Mutuca Studios, along with such hardcore toy designers that I've looked up to all these years. Never did I imagine I'd be a toy designer myself in the first place, if you asked me pre-2012. Thanks to CE Planet Contest II and TOYSREVIL of course, toy designing has changed my life forever :)


(4) BKK 2013!

I had a blast hanging out with Thai Artists whom I admire very much -- Rukkit, WaW, Warhead, and Gegi during my stay in BKK back in March. Napat Phromphruk of CE Planet was so hospitable and generous to us as well treating us to places and even arranging press interviews for me and CE :) I love Thailand and hope to be able to come back there on a regular basis :)


(5) Munnymunth 2013, Building the Pirated Eva Unit 01

Even though my entry for Munnymunth didnt get the grand prize, I was so satisfied with my entry Pirated Eva Unit 01 for the contest. One of my most fulfilling projects to date :)



(6) RSCLS visit to Manila

As part of their MNL x SG Solidarity project, the crew of RSCLS paid a visit to us to paint with us and expeirence Manila for a jam-packed schedule of events. Such an honor to paint with mad talented yet humble artists.


(7) Pacific Rim

Easy pick as my Best Movie of the year :D



(8) STGCC 2013

One of my most memorable moments of the year, my trip to SG this year was packed with awesomeness. From my collaboration projects with TOYSREVIL, meeting Jeffrey Koh (Flabslab) and Jackson Aw (Mightyjaxx) for the first time, selling out my Assault & Batteries with Vinyl on Vinyl, and hanging out and painting with the RSCLS, my friends Carrot Bombing, Egg Fiasco and Aaron Woes went through for a week like I was in a hardcore happy dream.


(9) MMFK

A tragic loss to the art community, Pharuephon's early departure was quite saddening to me as I personally knew him. Notable though is the amount of love and support that him and his family got after the tragedy, which showed me how large of an impact his inspiration and influence has affected hundred of thousands of supporters not only in BKK but throughout the globe as well. I do wish to be able to leave a mark in this world just as much as he did when my day with our Lord arrives, through the art and toys that I will be leaving behind.



(10) SECRET FRESH Launch Events and Group Shows

This year, I participated in a lot of SECRET FRESH group shows and launch events. Though most of the time we were pressed for time, I am very thankful to be on board with a lot of these shows as I did some of my heaviest-hitting Bulletpunk Toy releases of 2013 through these shows :)


(11) Pilipinas Street Plan

I said YES in a heartbeat when this collective of really heavily talented collective of our local artists invited me to join their crew. Being part of Pilipinas Street Plan (PSP) is a dream come true for me. Even more awesome for me is how I've seen these such talented people stay humble and steady and heavily supportive of one another as I've gotten to know much of them. I've been actually putting my best foot forward with my past few paint sessions and even in my designer toy projects, for the most part, to represent this crew as best as I can :)


(12) Rebuilding Tacloban

Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda shook our country pretty bad as a lot of our countrymen suffered from this tragic calamity. As artists, we did our part to best be able to help out in our own ways to their relief and rebuilding efforts, through various art shows and auctions, with proceeds of our sales all going to the relief operations.


(13) The Hidden Fortress

Together with Carrot Bombing, Egg Fiasco and Tawnie Tantay, we are opening up our shop "Hidden Fortress" this January 2014 at the Ronac Art Center. It will feature our art toys, graffiti supplies, and other merchandise. We have put so much hard work and finances this year to be able to come up with the store. I feel very fulfilled to see the fruits of our efforts as our store is about to be completed :)

We are going full force this coming 2014. As a collaborative effort of Bulletpunk, Carrot Bombing, Egg Fiasco and Secret Fresh, we have so much in store for you guys with many toy releases, merchandise sales, and art shows and custom events. So stay tuned! :)

Hope you have a great year ahead. Happy New Year to all of you! :)

- QUICCS


E: quix@burnwater.com.ph
www.quicccs.com
quiccs.deviantart.com
behance.net/quiccs
www.facebook.com/quiccs
www.twitter.com/quikijiki
instagram.com/quiccs
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK