TOYSREVIL's Top 10 Media Toys of 2013


Over here on the TOYSREVIL-Blog, we embrace all forms of "toys" and collectibles, not just "art toys" and "designer toys"! Permit me to present to you the TOYSREVIL's TOP TEN LIST for MEDIA TOYS, based on my own personal toy-hoard toy-collection! (AND not necessarily "released" in 2013, as opposed to me procuring it in the year 2013 ;p).

And while there are a myriad of media-related toys and collectibles out in the whole wide world, it would also be absolutely unfair of me to place them in a "list" (that would actually be in another blog-post muahahahaha)

From television dramas to cartoons, from Japanese anime to comicbooks, and a delicious dash of mass media collaborations - READ ON and Geek Along with me! :)


NUMBER TEN (Anime/Manga):

Okay, so this might come as a weird listing (but then again, this is a self-indulgent list of my personal hoard in the first place *wink*), but I want to share with the world my personal joy in procuring this "Wild Tiger" action figure from S.H.Figuarts - who is in fact the third 'version' of the anime character I (now) own, something which I do not necessarily do for any collectible!

This is the version from the movie TIGER & BUNNY: THE BEGINNING. Snagged it from Bandai at AFA last year, and I never looked back. This particular placing on the list is tied up with another purchase! My first MASKED RIDER!

After literal decades of loving the character (since childhood, I've always referred to the Kamen Rider as "" translated from Chinese as "Ant King" hahahaha), I finally snagged the S.H.Figuarts piece at AFA, alongside my "Wild Tiger" = made my time at the annual event exciting! Now to get him a motorbike … MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA


NUMBER NINE (Television):

I suppose I could have been a rabid fan of the "Dr Who" television series, if I had ever sat down to catch a single full episode, much less the series, that is! And I never did realize I could enjoy these figurines from Titan Merchandise if they had not gifted me a few boxes for review. The figures I have are from "Doctor Who TITANS: 10th Doctor Series", designed by Matt "Lunartik" JOnes.

I have found myself pawing some boxes found at local comicbook shops here, but unfortunately never could afford to purchase more boxes … nevertheless I did mange to do a trade for one piece (thanks, Jon! haha), so that leaves decent impressions for me LOL


NUMBER EIGHT (Comicbook):

MONGROL in 1/12th-scaled was a delight and welcomed addition to my slowly growing collection of 2000 A.D. characters, thanks to 3A Toys! I've long been a fan of A.B.C. Warriors (specifically the Simon Bisley-illustrated series), and long to own the entire line-up! … now if only 3A could release the rest of the Warriors "more frequent" hahahaha

(FYI: Technically pre-order was in June, 2012, but I received my piece in March 2013)


NUMBER SEVEN (Television):

I am an unapologetic fan of TOUMA's design esthetics and characterization sensibilities, and I flipped when he did Tokyo Vinyl's Godzilla series (and I am still gawking for them dammit), and when I saw his designs for POWER RANGERS, I KNEW I had to have them!

Attempting to score them from the U.S. - where they were exclusives to Toys'R'Us - was the stuff of heartaches and agony … until the awesome Caro from Sweet Streets LA made me a happy toy-loving man!

Both prototypes of these Megaforce vinyls actually made their display debut in 2012. Check out this post for more images of the first two Rangers made available, and get ready for upcoming new design releases! *FREAKSOUT*


NUMBER SIX (Comicbook):

Besides the obvious desire for Judge Dredd and characters from 2000 A.D. - most notably "toys" - there have been few and far in-between, with most current offerings coming from 3A Toys (listed in #10) … so it is with a sharp salute and a humble "thank you" to Unbox Industries for producing a slightly more obscure character in the British-comicbook realms; NEMESIS! With this Warlock designed by Pete Fowler, no less! (Seen here in this image standing above the DTA Prince, yet another design from Fowler!)

Check out my review of the figure HERE (of the Blitzspear Edition), and here's hoping one day I'd get to snag the rest of the colorways!


NUMBER FIVE (Television):

TaskOne's Pillaging Pop Culture pulls double-duty unapologetically on my list! The homage /inspiration from / whatever you want to call it - is nigh welcomed and very much appreciated! Thru the years, there have been "realistic" releases of The Muppets in action figures (ie: Palisades) and even interpretations on BE@RBRICKS from Medicom Toy, but never seen before in such a form, especially mass produced by his lonesome - and I like it! (And by that I meant the design, not Task slaving over them lol) ;p


NUMBER FOUR :

Ever since blogging about it, I literally went "gaga" over them, and once they were solicited to be available in Singapore, I purchased them and picked them up at STGCC 2013. Besides the swell collaboration concept, it truly helped that the aesthetics were pretty much spot-on for adorability, pushing the cuteness factor up and above my own personal threshold LOL

Have you scored your own UGLY DOLL X HELLO KITTY Plush yet? :)


NUMBER THREE (Anime):

I am severely bitten by a personal addiction to Evangelion BE@BRICKS! Slowly building up my humble collection, with this adaptation of the EVAs (and it's Operators) appealing to, and resonating with me aesthetically, even moreso than the actual mecha-designs themselves! LOL

Perhaps I am more enamoured with the design-aesthetics than the actual form itself?

Here's crossing my fingers my wallet swells enough to search and procure the rest of the released goodness! LOL


NUMBER TW0 (Television):

I have zero "The Walking Dead" memorabilia, or toys, for that matter. And believe you me, I have a (somewhat) healthy-ish obsession with "zombie as toys" … so receiving the review pair of PET ZOMBIES from THREEZERO was an exceptional treat! And especially special was that they are in 1/6th-scale, which was right up my toy-alley of desires!

Based on the AMC television series, my attention for the googlebox escapades might have waned, but my interest and desires for THREEZERO's products have not!


NUMBER ONE (Anime/Manga):

Okay, I will "cheat" here, and state EVERY TOY from "Attack On Titan"! Scored a Colossal Titan Nendoroid playset, (overtly expensive) gasaphons, and chibi keychain charms on the exact same day after Christmas! … Okay fine, push comes to shove, the top spot will have to go to the COLOSSUS TITAN & ATTACK PLAYSET from "Shingeki no Kyojin"! (Hhmmm wondering why "Colossus" and "Colossal" … lost n translation, perhaps? LOL ;p)

The fact that they are able to straightup chibi-ize essentially a giant sized character from currently one of the hottest manga / anime, is both excitable and admirable, IMHO.

Permit me to stop babbling about this product as this juncture, and go PLAY with it myself! Chat with you folks later … :)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK