Giant Robot presents: 20 Years Art x Mags Exhibition (March 15- April 2.2014)

"Giant Robot began in 1994 as a zine, which soon became a full-fledged magazine and published for 16 years. Today, Giant Robot exists as a website, a shop, and as a gallery. Although the exact date of inception is a mystery, the date published on the cover of the first issue says it all – No. 1 and 1994."

Giant Robot presents: 20 Years Art x Mags Exhibition launches March 15th and exhibits thru April 2nd 2014 at their GR store (2062 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90025). This exhibition will precede the epic SuperAwesome: Art and Giant Robot at the Oakland Museum of California. April 19 – July 27th, 2014. Check out more info via the event's dedicated Facebook page.


I remember discovering GR magazines at my local comicbook shop years back, as they were the only folks I knew who brought them into Singapore, and devoured then whenever any issues were available, both "current" and back issues (most were pre-ordered in the first place, but sometimes the shop brought in extra copies), until later I would find them at Tower Records, and eventually bigger chain bookstores, which by then I had weaned myself off needing them, as the agony of not having them, became too much to bear, I sh*t you not … that, and I stopped having regular income and I had to curb my magazine-hoarding habits across the board *cue-violin* hahahaha

A personal sign how much I loved reading them? I would bring them to the john with me. I would bring them along when I go out too, and they were read from cover to cover, and not left gathering dust on a book shelf somewhere forgotten at home … I don't own a lot of them, but whatever I had, they've been read ragged at the page-edges, ever so gently. Hey, I take care of my mags, okay? LOL

20 years on, they celebrate their Anniversary, and I could not feel but be happy for GR, and am glad it was a part of my kidult-life "growing up" :)


For folks who are interested, Giant Robot has reprinted Issue 1 & 2 and made then available as a "Zine Pack" for $12.00, which also includes a button and classic sticker sheet. I have been personally trying to purchase them this Friday afternoon, but efforts are continually thwarted gggrrr … maybe you folks will have better luck …
"Each zine measures 4.25 x 7 inches. GR1 - 68 pages, GR2 - 72 pages. Giant Robot history re-printed! Before it was a magazine, Giant Robot was a zine. And they are back! Each pack features a reprinted Giant Robot Issue 1 and 2. Read into what started it all. New feature includes an additional forward by editor and owner of Giant Robot, Eric Nakamura."
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK