#toyhunt Bangkok: Iron Bridge Market

"The market itself is built on a large metal bridge over Ohng Ang Canal in the Wang Burapha area of Bangkok, just to the west of Chinatown. The 200-meter-long aisles, which run along both banks of the canal, stretch from Charoen Krung or New Road south to Yaowarat Rd. The market gets plenty of customers, despite the fact that shoppers have to force (their) way through throngs of people that crowd the one-meter-wide dim aisles. Likewise, patrons seem to be able to tolerate the heat and stuffiness inherent in a market with low ceilings and almost no ventilation."
So blogged Mark Romero of Bangkok's Talat Saphan Lek or Iron Bridge Market. A haven of a mixed clusterdom of electronics, air-soft guns, bootleg DVDs, and of course; TOYS. Featuring predominately "mass media" toys of popular western and Japanese brands, alongside bootlegs galore (them be the ones in plastic bags with no official headers or labels) - which I had the fortune to peruse, in my recent trip to Thailand for Bangkok Comic Con 2014 (4-6 July)!


Through the heat, hustle-n-squeeze, I only managed to take a paltry few snaps of the place (presented here in full ;p), mostly closeups of bootlegs (for which I would have scored the Mono KAWS Astroboy if only my luggage could fit, true story! … Priced about SGD$20 too! *tears*), and a quartet of HUGE Ratfinks in different colorways, which I would have loved to take better frontal shots of, but there just was not enough space for camera depth!



One thing to note though, the toys seem to be "seasonal", in the way that what follows the fad, and of course what the bootleg producers produce at that time when you visit, so there might not necessarily be "old stock" all tucked into a corner! Remember the KAWS Astroboy I pawed above? Might not be there again months later if ever I make my way back there … maybe?

And while I cannot be 100% sure of this impression, the sheer lack of shop space might not cater to much stock, IMHO … but then again they more likely have their stock kept somewhere else close, perhaps? I would recommend two things:

(1) Buy what you want when you visit, and not "oh I'll come back and get it the next time when I visit…"
(2) Printed pictures of toys you are looking for, or maybe even store pics on your mobile phone, for folks to refer to, IMHO.

The particular "fad" this time around first week of July 2014, was "kaiju" / monsters from Ultraman! Nearly every other shop had them in stock too LOL… And to think I nearly started down that path then, if not for lack of luggage space hahahahaha


There were no distinguishing shop names I could share here, or rather I had not the chance to even "look up" to take pieces of shop-fronts, as the main pathway was constantly with people motion not more than 2 persons side-by-side and definitely not a place where you should be totting your backpack(s) or larger luggage - and the only spacial reprieve, was to literally step into the shop itself, or side-turn into filtering alleyways ... like small "streams" from the "main river"! The irony is not lost on me :p


(Above: Photo-taking back in the hotel room... ;p)

One of the first stops was a shop lined with plastic-bagged-packed figurines and gasaphons/capsule toys - ALL BOOTLEGS, mind you - predominately with Japanese anime figures (scored my Attack on Titan figures!) and assorted US-based comicbook and animation movie properties … and I even spotted the entire Series 1 of Androids Collectibles from Dead Zebra - which I should have taken a picture of, as I did not purchase it (I am not THAT supportive of bootlegs, even tho I am missing that series ~ lol).

And I was given a receipt print-out of my purchases (surprisingly), so this might not be your run-of-the-mill back-alley set-up, yeh? But then again I only ever bought from this shop and the dude spoke English pretty well, so I felt I was well sorted anyways hahahaha


I was brought to this spot by friends Tabun and @cheekkachic (*waves-HI*) - who asked for prices on my behalf instead of myself mostly, but most folks would generally understand touristos like yours truly asking for prices, so know your bahts and numbers well hahahaha

Not exactly a "picturesque" spot, but then again I'm not here for the scenery but the "toys" LOL

A thing to also note: I was reminded time and again to watch out for my wallet, and be careful of pick-pockets, so it pays to be alert, IMHO.

And while I cannot honestly say this is one of THE places to visit to hunt for toys, it a decent experience otherwise hahaha … would I come again if ever I visit Bangkok? If only to check out the bootleg mini-figures shop again, but not necessarily anywhere else … aaahhhbut what one entrance way led to another fully-airconditioned complex with even MORE toys, was worth the hassle, and well worth a revisits over and over again! But more of that in another post next week on #toyhunt Tuesday!

Saphan Lek Market: "It is thought that certain customs duties haven't been paid on most of the items here, and therefore bargain hunters can save up to 40% off department store prices. Bootleg software, pirated videos, unlicensed cassette tapes; these are just some of the things that you can find crammed into the aisles that make up Bangkok's Talat Saphan Lek. Just to the west of Chinatown, The 200-metre-long aisles, which run along both banks of the canal, stretch from Charoen Krung or New Road south to Yaowarat Rd. (Opening Hours: 09:00 – 18:00)" (via www.bangkok.com)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK