Hauke Scheer's Top 10 Toys for 2014

WHAT-IS: *Celebrating 2015 with a series of "TOP TEN TOYS FOR 2014" as picked by fellow plastic-crack-addicts … eerrr … I meant "fellow toy collectors"! It doesn't have to be released in 2014, it just has to be purchased / gifted / unboxed in 2014. Living my toy-dreams vicariously through you collections! Share Your Toy-Joy, people!* [CLICK to read all]
"Andy invited me to share my best toy acquisitions of 2014. Most of these are actually older toys but they were all bought or being gifted to me last year. It was hard to choose between all the toys I got this year and even harder to find the right criteria on which to rank them. In the end I just went with the toys that I thought gave me the most joy this year." - shared Hauke Scheer of Deep Fried Figures (www / Facebook). **All words and images via :)
(#10) Mechawhales Orca Figure

WHY: "O.k. this is one of my own figures. But since this is the version from the Deep Fried Figures store on sculpteo, I had to pay for this figure just like anybody else. So I think he counts. It is exciting for me to offer more Mechawhales characters to fans and the Orca has always been the one design I wanted to get out there after the main Mechawhales figure. It would probably rank higher on the list but I want to at least pretend to have some kind of modesty so he is only at number ten."
(#9) Anarky from Batman Arkham Origins

WHY: "One thing I noticed about me as a collector is that these days it is less about collection figures of characters I like in pop culture but more about figures that simply look cool to me. Take Anarky for example. I hardly know the character from the comics and never played the Game this version is from either. But there is something about the character design I find quite appealing. The contrast between the mask and the clothes work quite well and I dig the molotow cocktail accessory. Also I like that he is not too busy with detail like some game characters tend to get."
(#8) Ephant Mon Star Wars

WHY: "I noticed this guy in the Star Wars Action Figure encyclopedia I bought this year and immediately wanted to have him. It is a great design that was translated into an awesome figure sculpt with a terrific paint job. Unfortunately my figure came with two left legs but you can hardly notice under the cloak he is wearing and it also makes my version a little bit more unique."
(#7) Extendar from Masters of the Universe Classics

WHY: "The Masters of the Universe Classics figures are my favorite toy line at the moment. The have great articulation and just the right balance of detail and “toy look” that I enjoy. Also they are very sturdy and look and feel like they were meant to be toys rather then high and collectible figures. Something I absolutely prefer these days. Extendar along with Snake Armor He-Man was among the remaining must have figures for me to have before the line ended. So I am super happy to have gotten him so my personal collection will feel complete."
(#6) Hamilton Gifts Batman

WHY: "This is a figure I always wanted when I was younger but actually forgot about. I then saw it again this year in a toy museum in Scotland and just had to track it down on Ebay. It is a very simple traditional rendition of Batman but that is something I prefer these days. He has a little bit of a Super Powers vibe going on and that is still one of my favorite toy lines ever. It also helps that he reminds me of the nice time I had in Scotland this year."
(#5) Cobra Figma Figure

WHY: "I got this figure on my vacation in Singapore this year (2014). I always liked the character and this is a great figure presentation of him. His muscle definition is very nicely done and the paint job is great as well. I was also surprised how sturdy the Figma figures are. Most of the Japanese toys I own tend to be fragile. Especially the highly articulated ones made for collectors. But it appears the Japanese companies have caught up when it comes to sturdiness. This figure definitely feels like a proper toy and not like some collectible item."
(#4) Akiba Ranger Red BANDAI S.H. Figuarts

WHY: "Another figure I know next to nothing about and just bought because I think it looks cool. I just love the crazy hair design on the helmet. But the figure has also cool translucent armor parts and great articulation. And like the Cobra figure it is rather sturdy and feels like a proper toy. This one was also purchased in Singapore. So it also reminds me of the good time I had there."
(#3) Stronghold from Acid Rain

WHY: "When I was a kid I loved nothing more then discovering a new original toy line. It was like exploring a new unknown world. Sadly with most toy lines being based on existing licenses these days that sense of discovery is often missing. Therefore I am always excited to see some original lines appear on the market. Acid Rain is just that with an interesting background story and very cool toy designs to boot. Stronghold is one of my favorite Mech toys and I hope to see Acid Rain to grow and expand for quite some time."
(#2) CHI Sir Fangar Lego Chima

WHY: "Lego is one of the few toy companies that still develops a lot of in house toy properties instead of just licensing exiting ones. I really appreciate that. Looking at properties like Ninjago, Legends of Chima or Hero Factory reminds me of my childhood when I discovered new toy lines like Masters of the Universe or Transformers for the first time in a store. So for that effort alone one their figures deserves to be on my list. But Sir Fangar is also just a very cool looking figure. I love the whole humanoid sabertooth design and the translucent parts make the figure really pop out. Makes me wish they would make a “proper” action figure line of the Chima characters."
(#1) WARZ GILL BANDAI S.H. Figuarts

WHY: "Again a figure I simply bought because I thought it looked cool without knowing anything about it. I got it on my last day in Singapore at a reduced price and once I got him out of package I was surprised how much I love him. His silver head reminds me of Microman and I dig the crazy hat he is wearing. The whole space pirate crossed with a harlequin design is very appealing to me. He is also once again quite sturdy for his intricate design and detail. After I bought him I found out he is actually a bad guy from Power Rangers. I would have guessed he would actually be the hero of some kind of anime series made in the vein of Captain Harlock or Cobra. But whatever he turned out to be I really enjoy having this figure.

Just as with the other figures I bought in Singapore it not just about the figures themselves but also about the experience of actually getting to shops and discover cool stuff in person. With most of my purchase being made online these days I sometimes just miss going out and discovering cool figures I know nothing about in a shop."
Honorary Mention: "The Raven Gothitropolis figures from the Four Horesemen would have definitely made it on this list. They are an original line made with great detail while still retaining the look and feel of a proper toy figure. It also helps that they have some crazy cool designs like a fighting rooster or the Minotaur the Duck figure. So they would have hit all the things I want to see more in toys.

Unfortunately I have not gotten mine yet. But I am sure they will be on my list next year."
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK