toysrevil @ singapore toy & comic convention 2008: day zero (june 26)

FYI: Day Zero is my own TRE-timeline which consists of the Set-up Day on the 26th of June, a day prior to Preview Night on the 27th - which is Day One / Day Two is 28th and Day Three is 29th. we clear? *coolio* :)

Part of me thinks that DAY ZERO was a bad judgment call on my part. I'd wanted to drop-in to snap setting-up pics, becoz, ya know, I'd thought it would be fun, innit? (Yes, I'm warped that way) Of coz realizing before that that there may not be much toys to be put up (to let stay overnight?) and but at least there may be Booth-Designs? Carton-boxes with labels down the side indicating what's to be expected the next day? (*cough* - but I did not post them - I'm *evil* but I'm not that evil!) ... And while I'm not deluded to think there maybe any "exclusives" I could sneek a peek at (becoz this particular Con is NOT about any specific launches) but I reckon it would be interesting to see a "Start-to-Finish" POV of this shindig, innit? As well as have a chance to have a peek at the work and effort that goes behind the making of the first-ever toys & comic convention in Singapore, innit? And that's how TOYSREVIL rolls, yo! [CLICK for Day Zero Set-up posts] ... And yes, do expect a Day-Three-Wrap in time to come :p /// CLICK THRU FOR MORE

But to be fair, we did managed to get some sweet peeks courtesy of 3 KINGS-booth (ie: Star Wars: The Legacy / Space Spore / G.I.Joe and HULK - there were uber-new My Little Ponies as well, but their hair was too messy, really! LOL) - now that's the way to hype it up LOL



Besides "fun", one of my primary aims as well was to help hype up the event in my own little way (via my humble blog) on the day of Preview Night, for the next day's start of Public Opening. Especially when tele-media would be covering the event, with a State Minister being the special guest. Folks might start googling and personally I think in this media saturated cyber-age, there is a need to have a continuous-stream of information for folks to absorb and digest. But alas, I fear had been unable to fully succeed in this aspect of my "plan" - due to lack of time and energy (man, I need to work out more!) - next time it will be different! if there be another "next time", innit? heh.

FYI: In Singapore, nigh-media coverage will be bestowed upon Governmental figures gracing any event/s, via both Print and Tele-media. Lemme go grab and scan a newspaper report of Devilrobots chatting it up with Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minster for Community Development, Youth and Sports.


Stepped into the hall near 15-mins to 7pm and started snapping. And yes, whenever I could, I asked permission from the vendors setting up, yo! I ain't making a living out of this blog (yet) and I sure ain't out to screw anyone else's livelihood, innit? (*cough*) ... and yes, the "No Photography" sign was put up in Medicom's display only on the following day and no, I will not post the pictures. As disappointed as I personally am with the status, tis a matter of principle, thanks for understanding.

BANDAI's display arena was a hive of activity [blogged] with what I reckon was the most outstanding and obvious feature of the Con. And frankly, I'd snapped countless pics and filmed megabytes' worth of video (but unfortunately not had the time to process them) Folks from Sheng Tai were busy piecing the kits together (what? you thought they came on the display-shelves complete? LOLz) - My sincere thanks to Chen Liang of Sheng Tai Toys and Kah Fai of Bandai for taking the time to chat with and brief me on what their exhibit was about tho!



Looking at the folks setting up the Star Wars Booth was a mixed feeling of "pity" and "envy" - *Pity* becoz they were setting up where there were (I feel) insufficient light, like toiling in a corner of the floor, a sweat-shop (of toy-lurve, no doubt :p) - a decent work-light should have been provided and/or aquired, IMHO.

It literally reminded me of the constant pre-set-ups in the past I've done for media productions - where most times, people may not cater to the requirements of the pre-set, which of coz could be rectified by requesting for said lights before start of prep - NOT pointing fingers at anyone, as I am not a part of the discussions, yeh? Just something to consider next time round. Another point to consider, is if possible, bring along a portable fan, and an extension wire/cable. If ever the air-conditioning is switched off (due to whatever circumstances) at the very least you can still set-up in quasi-comfort. And work will move smoother. Again, food for thought, yeh?



*Envy* becoz they are having fun with their toys, innit? (of coz "fun" applies to different folks LOL) - but to be able to exhibit their toys for all to see, I think is pretty darn cool (one day I'll do my 1/6th-scaled show and pray that people would turn up in the first place LOL)



Set-ups are always a mix of either dearthly silence, or pandemonium (better pandemonium on day of set-up rather than day of launch, innit? LOL) - and I've been thru enough overnight set-ups in my "previous life" to dare say so (altho not in the events field). The night of the 26th was the former. Clusters of folks working their individual booths, carpenters literally building the Hasbro Star Wars display booth on-site, electricians testing out and setting up lighting fixtures, the flickering of lights caught in the corner of my eyes, as I scanned the emptied booths before me.



On one hand, it was a very surreal experience - looking around, it was as if I
was late for the party and missed it all! "What? Everyone's Left Already????"


HELLOOoooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo????

On the other hand - imagine this: in a few hours time, they will be filled up with goodies on display, and subsequently, the place will be sardine-packed with people of all shapes, sizes and age (don't forget the prams), and hopefully people with smiles on their faces, innit? I dare say I was pretty moved by the emptiness before me then, and of the possibilities of what is to come, when the doors are open for Singapore first ever Toy & Comic Convention, innit? ... yes, I am a sap (shuddup LOL).



And from here, you'd imagine I'm a real sucker for "behind-the-scenes" aspects of things (like a DVD Special Feature LOL) - and if I had my way (and resources) I would've offered to film the set-up - for the inevitable cliched (but always cool) sped-up video of folks setting up an empty hall til when the doors open to public - fab for archiving the event, as well as possibly being used for any promotional videos, trailers or promos for the subsequent years' Cons, innit? I hope somebody had considered that tho :p


Anyways, Kudos for PI Events for their blessings for letting me in for this opportunity. Cheers to Denise and Daphne - you both rawk lor! LOL

The "bad judgment call" I mentioned earlier was primarily becoz instead of the planned hour (or two, max), I'd inevitably ended up staying beyond that and exhausting myself - which affected the next day ... worse of all? 9 & Natsu (aka Team TRE for STCC08) got dragged into it all ... now there's 3 peeps in the core team all tuckered out :/

And of coz walking around the entire time with my fly undone put a real damper on things, as discovered at the end of the mini photo-taking marathon ... *rolls-eyes-and-double-check-zipper*



Exhibitors / Vendors had until 3pm on the 27th to finish-up their full set-up, for a 5pm registration, and eventual 6pm event launch proper. Whatever I had planned for the time before 5pm = fell apart. Whatever plans for networking, quasi-hob-nob with the Guests (*sheeyah-rite*) and even sorting out blog-contest prizes and interviews (both of which Im sad to say, totally did not happen) - gave in to exhaustion and frantic but uncompleted blog-posts. Trudging about like a zombie is not a good way to start a Con, lemme tell ya!

Don't bother rolling out the pity-wagon, the wheels have already been punctured LOL - and before said pity-wagon rolls down the edge of the cliff, CLICK HERE to view more pics of the Set-Up night (taken by 9 / all pics in this post via) and HERE to view a smaller selection of Day Zero-pics (taken by me) complete with commentary :)


And now that it's all over, and we've enjoyed the Con (in varying degrees, I understand) - do bear in mind the efforts and work of those involved in setting up this shindig for us all to enjoy, hor! (IMHO) A Hearty Kudos To All Involved!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK