STGCC 2011 Day One: A Personal Experience

IMG_2461

STARTING LINE: Flipping open the newspaper today, and seeing the ad for STGCC, was an exhilarating feeling. Regardless of whatever negativity I have been reading about across the local www, I am just glad we still HAVE a Con to go to, the alternative being 'none', simply put (Although having a black-n-white ad instead of a full-color extravaganza reeked heavily of an anit-cilmax, tis just a newspaper ad for fans and not the masses after all, right?).

I might have felt differently about this situation pre-Stroke, I admit. But post-Stroke? I may not be a 'changed man', but my thought process has been altered to a certain degree. It's not about the 'big boys' making a buck offa fans (I myself am a willing participant), but tis about the select folks struggling via the Artist Alley, that gets my enthusiasm pumping, truth be told.

STGCC_DAY_ONE_01

ENTERING THE MELEE: Ticketing for the event has been now moved to the 3rd level foyer of Suntec City (effectively cutting off half or 2/3 of the elongated space were cosplay folks regularly line the gallery for events. The huge crowds of people lining actually scared me silly, but they were NOT for ticket-purchases, but for (1) Hot Toys Exclusive Purchases, and (@) First 500 folks with VIP Access to be the first to enter the event hall! You do not need a wild guess to see what they were lining up for (a few folks in the queue were also gobbling down on what I assume to be breakfast!).

This was barely 20 minutes before the convention doors opened. Now, I did not managed to snap any folks rushing into the venue, as my Media/Blogger Pass actually did not offer me an opportunity to enter the venue first before the VIP-ticketers (or perhaps I should have been loud and abrasive instead? But would there be a need at all?) which frankly I felt was a tad ridiculous and bad form for promos, IMHO.

STGCC_DAY_ONE_02

MANAGING ABILITIES & EXPECTATIONS: From the get-go, I knew I would not be able to cover STGCC the way other able-bodied folks could, with speed and fancy snaps. With walking cane in hand and a laptop slinged on my person, it would be a struggle to take images like the way I used to (do you know I would loose my balance if I bend my body down too low, or even bend my legs?). Perhaps "excuses" for many involved, but hey, tis what I am able to achieve, versus what I expect from myself.

STGCC_DAY_ONE_05

BEST SHOWING: Without a doubt, the Hot Toys display pavilion (yes, I dare call it "pavilion" LOL) is THE spot worth geeking out on, and frankly breathes "life" into an event that caters to "geeks" both adult and young. The sole touch of "glamor" this event needed, and sadly, this would be the only venue that does not necessarily look like a event-space having stalls selling products (you know what I mean). It makes geeks like me welcomed and celebrated for being a niche category of collectors in the first place, and something other folks (with or without budgets, I understand) to consider in presenting their brands in a particular arena such as this.

STGCC_DAY_ONE_03

MANAGING SPACE: A huge section of the event hall was cordoned off for the main stage area (ala Anime Festival Asia - quite literally), and the Walk of Fame section became just a sole background-panel with table up front, for autograph sessions, in twos (longer back-drop) and a single backdrop area.

I was quite disappointed that there was not a sole display area for the guests' products (like last years, which featured products from Tokidoki, TIm Tsui, Alice Chane Jason Siu etc). I actually sorely miss that, because there is less eye-candy, and that folks are expected to know their guests without the need to showcase a retrospective of their work?

This is feeding the current fanbase but not educating anyone new to the artists work and craft. This infuriates me - but hey, that's just my perspective, and might not be what the "masses" care about, maybe.

CRIPPLED BY TECHNOLOGY: Unfortunately, I am pretty much a tech-idiot, and depending on my Macbook in a venue that welcomes PC, quelled all sense of ability for me. I could not upload images much less blog about what and who I saw. Edward from ToysETC (which I met for the first time) - told me that he'll/they'll be utilizing their mobile-phones and such to report on the event, and not depend on the facilities provided - when I asked him about the relevancy of such a facility.

Can't complain about technology, as I am not proficient with it myself, and my attempts at covering this Con, showed the lack glaringly, as far as I am physically concerned.

I ended up literally going home at 11+am in the morning - as one of my main aims was to blog about and feature friends and select folks from the Artist Alley as soon as I possibly could, and that happenstance sucked nearly 3hours out of my time, both in traveling and processing pics. But yes, I managed to get them up before my Spotlight on Andrew Bell at the event by 3:30pm.

Time suckage, meeting friends, talking my head off, more snaps -literally left my feet shivering (true story) and frankly would have basically knelled over if I did not force my way out and sat down for an extended period of time at Food Republic downstairs of the venue.

STGCC_DAY_ONE_06

ASIDE#1: I was sorely disappointed that the so-called "Cafe" area was literally a few tables with skirting lined-up and selling stuff. The seats to the corner of the hall were literally taken up by a myriad of folks taking a break, and with hardly a cup on their table. That left me livid and absolutely disgusted, but hey, other folks do get tired too, no? Bah.

STGCC_DAY_ONE_04

ON THE UPSIDE: I had felt the spirit of this year's event - tho obviously much smaller, seemed more "contained" and the value of the exhibitors slightly "different", in the sense the folks there does not seem to have an unbalanced mix of creator-products versus "bargain-basement-sales".

The walking aisles are slightly tighter, which sees a crowd of people (at opportune areas) but then again I have not had the opportunity to linger at the venue for too long a time (wish there were more "seats" tho) and hope my Sunday at STGCC will be a slightly more interesting and fulfilling time spent, in that I would hopefully spend more time geeking out and buying stuff, than snapping way pics hahaha and of course having the opportunity to meetup with friends both new and old, and get to bitch, whine, and enjoy the geekdom which we all have a chance to share, even if it is once annually.

I am looking forward to going actually, but as of this time of bloggery, my voice has left me a gravel tone, and energy severely exhausted, but yes i will still try to make it there, but perhaps not as early as I had expected to LOL

ASIDE#2: Please do not expect to call me and hope that I will pick up in time while struggling with a walking cane and a camera. In fact you can try to SMS me, but I probably will have my mobile phone turned off for the duration. Thank you.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK