The Value of Artist Alley @ STGCC

Artist Alley. A haven for independent practicing artists to ply their craft and works at STGCC. A venue where the "personal" touch means a literal hand-draw or sketch, beyond autographing books and figurines. Since it's inception at STGCC, the line-up has seen a mix of artists, illustrators, craftsmen and even aspiring toy-makers making known their wares to the geek-public at large.

The charm of Artist Alley is unavoidable, if not for the affordability of the booth space, compared to the larger erected booths, and seems a particular "in" into the Convention for folks interested to share their works. But seems rising prices and dismal response might deter some, while for some others, it is a price to pay for a platform to showcase their works and name.

TOYSREVIL spoke to a variety of folks - to get to know what helming a booth at Artist Alley actually entailed. Folks exhibiting this year include Kelvin Chan of ROCKETRAYGUN and freelance illustrator Ray Toh, while folks who exhibited last year - but did not make a return engagement this year - are Indonesia-based Johanes Djauhari aka Saltnpaper, Sheena Aw of Caramelaw and Gunawan Lo - both based in Singapore. Let's start with the NAYS, shall we?

TOYSREVIL-ASKED: Why did you not go for a booth at Artist Alley this year?
"Price is the number 1 issue, from $400 to $600 and only 2 days is more than 100% jump, man! Actually I still optimist that I can earn abit with this rental price, just... not worth the effort... Need to print this and that, prepare everything…" ~Gunawan Lo
ARTIST-ALLEY-2010-GUNAWANLO
[Gunawan Lo's Artist Alley Booth @ STGCC 2010]
"It was mainly the price/cost of rental. I just can't justify the price." ~Sheena Aw.
One hotspot of contention which hung from folks' lips last year, was the debacle of the concept layout of Artist Alley (which has since seen a change this year) - which perhaps had left a bitter-taste in folks decision-making process and might be a lingering experience folks finding hard to forget, or forgive:
"…I was a little tricked by them last year because I was expecting a 'BOOTH' not a 'SPACE'. (I think I complained to you before. haha) In the contract they clearly had a diagram of a booth but when I reached the convention a day before for set up, all I saw was a panel behind me, a table, 2 chairs and waste paper basket.

They could've indicated they've adopted the open concept. In a way I felt cheated. So I thought twice about having to take part again. The organizers did email me to ask me if I want to take part though. It was fun last year but many things that didn't work out for me, so I decided not to do it this year."
~shares Sheena.
ARTIST-ALLEY-2010-CARAMELAW
[Caramelaw Artist Alley Booth @ STGCC 2010]
Kelvin Chan - who exhibited for his second year at STGCC - had this to add: "I was actually put off by the price. But when I did the Comic Art Show in Wilkie place I was pleasantly surprised at the response of many comic fans to my stuff, and based on the response of that weekend I figured it would be justifiable to go for it with STGCC. I figure that ROCKETRAYGUN's presence was necessary and was prepared to make a loss but the love and support from our SG fans helped me break even so that's a big success for me."

Ray Toh, who exhibited by himself for the first time this Con (last year he was helping out a friend) mirrors Kelvin's notion and had a focused agenda: "I was kind of discourage by the price increase at first but then again, I was thinking, it's one of the good place/event to expose and market myself. Partly also due to the fact that i have printed my new book, Ray Toh Ideabook and was trying to find ways to sell it instead of just online."
ARTIST-ALLEY-2011_RAY_TOH_1
[Ray Toh's Artist Alley Booth @ STGCC 2011]
ARTIST-ALLEY-2011_RAY_TOH_2
A price to be paid for the venue and booth as a platform for branding beyond making the rental? I can relate. When I helmed my own booth in 2009, I had let myself be burdened with the stress of paying for rental, than actually promoting the brand of TOYSREVIL - as a blog even (And I still owe money for that venture till now - I hardly broke even).

Aside, a whole lot of folks had also exclaimed to me that they could not find the TOYSREVIL-booth - which was astounding, because I did not have an exhibition space at all whatsoever! Interesting how perceptions seem to be, and the expectations of folks in what they "remember". And besides the dollars and cents paid to the organizers to a space to exhibit your wares, it is also what you have made available to attendees - to make up the difference and investment into the rental and time - that might prove to be yet another deterrent:

Johanes Djauhari aka Salnpaper - who exhibited last year but not this, had this to add: "... evaluating from last year participation, I need to have more merchandise ranging $5- $15 to increase the cash flow. in which I'm not ready with this items yet…response from folks was quite good last year, it's only a matter of we don't have enough merchandise variety to offer" ~ adds Johanes
ARTIST-ALLEY-2010-SALTNPAPER
[Saltnpaper Artist Alley Booth @ STGCC 2010]
An occurrence not rare as there are plenty of folks I have spoken to, that laments the ability to recoup their investment, alongside the issue if the lack of products made to sell. And while both Kelvin and Ray has their items primed for sales, just how many postcards / posters / pins can one have? But then again, is it all about the "merchandise"? And how much is "response" worth these days anyways?
"The crowd last year wasn't as much as I expected it to be. By mid Saturday, i see the crowd dying. Then Sunday was pretty quiet. (This was based on STGCC 2010 when I took part) I had barely covered my cost last year and I am pretty sure, with the increase in rental price this year, I will not be able to even break even. I'm only a poor artist. :p" ~laments Sheena Aw of Caramelaw.

"Yes I attended STGCC this year and I see artist alley now have double side wall, which good that you can hang or stick your artworks on the wall. But I just cant feel the vibe on artist alley now..(there's only 10 artist maybe?). Compare to previous STGCC, it lost its fun definitely. Oh one more thing Andy, just feel STGCC now trying to hard to get the mainstream/popular things to the show like anime/manga which I think should be more part of AFA…" ~shares Gunawan.
Seems 2010 was undoubtably a mixed response of bleakness for some, while others experienced a tinge of positivity. Both Ray and Kelvin had experienced last year's response and this recent weekend's, and had these to share:
"It's was surprisingly good this year, for me, although the size of the hall seem to be smaller as of compare with last years. Last year seem to be abit quiet. But then again i only drop by like half a day or something just to hang out with my friend at their booth." ~shares Ray.

Kelvin had experienced a much more positive situation: "The response this year was better because the crowd had only two days to do their shopping, many familiar with STGCC already and came ready to buy and support the artists."
ARTIST-ALLEY-2010-ROCKETRAYGUN
[ROCKETRAYGUN Booth @ STGCC 2010]
The concept of returning fans, and the ideal of more focused attendees seem to be a situation folks have a hard(er) time grasping. The more folks know about your work, the less you need to explain to them what it is. In this day and age, it is also about "exposure" and a lot of it comes from working your own online venue and educating the public about what you have, and for them to reach out to you physically at the event. Hence, a lesser "sell", isn't it? Bane or boon - it depends on the individual and what they have prepared leading up to the event, and perhaps even after the Con-doors have closed.

While preparing this post, I had received a (mass) emailer from an artist - who was gathering email address during this year's STGCC - saying "Hi" and pointing folks to his upcoming signings and where to purchase his book in lieu of the event ending. Now THAT is what needs to be done, and having a booth alone for two days, is just not enough to get the gears turning for you. It is after all, a once-a-year-only event.

Self-promotions aside, what about the future? TOYSREVIL-ASKED: Would you ever helm an Artist Alley booth of your own again? (Or even a bigger booth). And what would be the terms comfortable for you to do so?
"Yup, why not. STGCC is a good event to be in. Well, if only they could lower the price that would be great. Because for a start up company that kind of digits is crunching a whole year's budget. Unless STGCC is aiming for giant corporate like Marvel, DC, etc." ~adds Johanes.

"I'm thinking of getting one but still deciding. It's actually a very good marketing platform and a nice place to hang out with artist and people with similar interest. I'm actually looking forward to next year's con. But i need to plan and decide what i will be doing at the booth if i were to get one." ~adds Ray.
ARTIST-ALLEY-2011-ROCKETRAYGUN
[ROCKETRAYGUN Artist Alley Booth in STGCC 2011 / Additional pic via]
"Yes, it's become like a BIG family gathering for me, of like minded people having a weekend of pure fun. No strangers, all geeks. I know there'll be more cons springing up. So more avenues for artists to present their stuff." ~adds Kelvin.
I look forward to be meeting you folks at STGCC 2012 where I hope to have my own booth at Artist Alley. Personally it has to be more than just bread-n-butter and paying the rent, because by the sheer lack of attendees, anyone should be happy to even break-even. Am I prepared to loose money I cannot afford to loose in the first place? Well, it sure beats just blogging about it! Just hope I am eligible for a booth space at Artist Alley in the first place!

My thanks to Kelvin Chan, Ray Toh, Johanes Djauhari, Sheena Aw and Gunawan Lo for their time and candidness. Hope to meet you guys soon, if not for STGCC then somewhen somewhere!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK