Top Ten TOYSREVIL Toy Releases in 2012

TOYSREVIL released an awesome spread of collectibles this year (if I do say so myself), all of which were collaborations with generous artists, with the bulk focused on the annual local 'Singapore Toy Games & Comic Convention' [TAGGED] - for which I had created a pocket-sized foldout catalog for (which was in fact Plan-B, with Plan-A being a self-published booklet instead but alas I could not achieve it by myself, I soooo learnt the hard-way…).

TOP-10-TOYSREVIL>

From the support of a myriad of artists both local and International, including folks like Pierre Rouzier (Vapor Noddlers), Daniel Yu (Crawdad Kid), Selina Briggs (Jellybots), Richard Page (DeeDees), Anjo Bolarda (Red & Black JuJu Yokas), and Mark Nagata (Mini Kaijus from Max Toy Co), and as well "Black Friday" offerings from QUICCS (whose Gaijin CE would've been in the top rung of this list, if delivered this year ;p) and Jef Bazak (Black Fried Egggons) = 2012 was indeed a fruitful year for TOYSREVIL!

Mind you, I am not (yet) a "toy-designer" or even a "toy-maker", but am gleefully releasing collaborative toys with folks who took the trouble, and folks who chose to stick by me, and for that, I am sincerely and humbly thankful for each and every one! BUT, for the purposes of this "Top Ten"-list, here are 10 releases I would like to re-share with you folks!

TOYSREVIL-ANTZ-CRAPPY-CAT

#10 - CUSTOM CRAPPY CATS from ANTZ

I had asked local artist ANTZ to customize 5 x Crappy Cats specifically for STGCC, and would be perfect alongside his Print-release and Signing session at my booth. But alas I had not have enough time to drum up hype and the swell figurines sat proudly on view, but not gone home along with anyone during the show, and that's the only reason why they are lined-up at #10, because technically I did not "sell" them!

I had not have the chance to make them available online since, but that will change on the coming year. Look out for these babies, because they will rock your collection, people!

TOYSREVIL-YOKAZUNA

#9 - YOKAZUNA by QUICCS

First item to sell out when it debuted at my booth in STGCC, YOKAZUNA from Philippines artist QUICCS no doubt grabbed at the imagination of collectors enamored with it's stark colors and sharp Gundam-inspired aesthetics. Limited to only 10 pieces of hand-made customs, each possessing it's own sequential numbering, they were QUICCS first toy series to be done and sold as well! Funnily enough, even both himself and I did not even manage to keep one for ourselves!

No doubt more collabos will happen in 2013, with the delivery of the recent sold-out GAIJIN CE Black Edition to look forward to soon as well!

TOYSREVIL-TUTTZ

#8 - TUTTZ by Argonaut Resins

I have released regular sized Tuttz via online before, but this was the first time we released the Large Sized TUTTZ, debuting at STGCC. Major kudos to Eric Nocella Diaz for a swell production of Tuttz, and as well having my back all this while. Deep man-love for you, buddy!

What made it even "sweeter" for me personally, was that my illustration of Tuttz was used as the box label! The 5 piece TOYSREVIL colorway-edition was sold off soon afters, and as well the 6th piece made it's way to New York Comic Con, so I am pretty darn chuffed that TOYSREVIL was "in New York" in someway, thanks to Eric's generosity and savy! *YAY*

TOYSREVIL-KAIJU-SUSHI-BEVIL
#7 - KAIJU SUSHI by Paul Shih
#6 - BEVIL by Paul Shih

TOYSREVIL-KAIJU-SUSHI TOYSREVIL-BEVIL

Both Kaiju Sushi and Bevil were both enriching items which I had a chance to work closely with Paul Shih of New Zealand with (am not too sure if Paul thinks as positively about the experience as I do ~ J/K! LOL). From the color palette of the California Roll-inspired Kaiju Sushi, to the "evil-eyes" of Bevil, Paul has been nothing short of accommodating and a real trooper and creative, I have to say! The result was nothing short of splendid, and I am wholly proud of them!

One "funny" aspect of the Kaiju Sushi figure, was that we were looking for a bento-box to house the figure in. I had hoped to have a very Japanese-style home-packed bento feel, with a swell wrap-around designed sleeve, but could not find the right sized box with the given dimensions! But luckily I found a size just about right, but alas no longer had the luxury of time to do a more complete package.



#5 - BEATUP BOXER by Breeanzz x Mu Tummy Toys

This Black Valentines' Edition was a labour of love between both Indonesian-designer Breanzzz and myself (with most effort on Brian's part, of course lol). From the embroidered tailored hoodie-robe, to the matt and gloss black of the resin figurine itself, it took us quite some time to develop the collectible, which Brian than pumped up the heat with the sheer luxe of the packaging, from faux crocodile surface die-cut box, to the Certificate of Authenticity. LUX ME UP, I say!

This edition BeatUp Boxer sold out within a week of it's release, and remains one of my proudest release to date.

BLACK-CYCLOPS-DINOS

#4 - BLACK CYCLOP DINOS by RAMPAGE TOYS

This item literally came to me in a dream, or more specifically in the moments when I was waking up, an image of the Cyclops Dinos lumbered towards me, clad all in dark-black and gleaming red eyes .. the tagline would have been "Bloodied and Tar Edition" but I reckon such gloominess should remain only in my dreams LOL

Luckily for me Jon Malmstedt of RAMPAGE TOYS was game for the idea, and the Black Friday Edition Cyclop Dinos were born! LOVE THEM! Limited to 20 sets, the pre-sales for the item has since been closed and this particular edition is no longer available for sale now, sorry folks!

TOYSREVIL-HEART-OF-LAVA-GOJI

#3 - HEART OF LAVA MINI GOJI by The Yellow Dino x My Tummy Toys

It was with great job that My Tummy Toys had the technology for me t be able to have an object floating inside of the body of the Mini Goji, and as well my thanks to Goji-creator and artist The Yellow Dino for accepting the idea!

The object in question, is a sculpt of the TOYSREVIL logo mascot's head (done by Dira of MTT) and the (unmentioned) working concept was that this particular Goji lived inside of a volcano, with the "Heart of Lava" thumping inside of it, while everywhere else he stood turned into black ashes.

I am thankful I had a chance to work with Yudi closely for this, and seeing sculpts happening from beginning, to the item fresh in my hand, was a wondrous happenstance indeed. Even sweeter was also doing an aluminum / tin sign/ plated print with Yudi, featuring the illustrated Goji in action, was a swell companion piece to the sculpted Mini Goji!

TOYSREVIL-EVIL-OLEE

#2 - EVIL RED OLEE by My Tummy Toys

Olee was a resin figurine released by My Tummy Toys a while back, and I even have an all-black version sitting on my display shelf. Liking the feel of this golf-ball sized and liking the form, I had asked if Marine Ramdhani and the folks at MTT could sculpt in my blog-mascot's "evil eyes" in relief on the hand-made resin, and to my delight, the result was as fun as I had imagined it to be!

Released circa Chinese New Year in February early this year, these 3" critters were limited to only 10 pieces, with still a couple more available for purchase here, and hopefully in time I would be able to present to you folks with different and new editions!

As much as I do like large scaled collectibles, I adore smaller-sized figures, especially hand-held ones, where I could bring along everywhere and snap pictures of!

TOYSREVIL-TURTLE-TETSUJIN-01

#1 - TOYSREVIL-Edition TURTLE TETSUJIN by Peter Kato

It would be obvious by now, "collaborative" toys endears closer to my heart, which I find both fulfilling (and yes, I get to live vicariously thru the creators and artists lol) and as well something worth working together for, and not just a product met simply for sales. Color me "naive", but I think that is a huge part of the fun and experience, at least from my point of view, selfishly speaking, I admit. Of course I do not cross over the domain of the artists, and feel extremely lucky when folks are accommodating. But not everything goes my way, and perhaps that's one of the (warped) allures of "collabo" pieces :)

The TOYSREVIL-Edition TURTLE TETSUJIN with Peter Kato of the U.S., was a splendid example of a collectible with which I had my chance for input and by which the creative decision from Peter enhanced the product beyond my dreams. And the effort behind the scenes in which the logo was placed in the center of the hand-made figurine - is much appreciative, indeed.

TOYSREVIL-TURTLE-TETSUJIN-02

Limited to 25 pieces, there are still a small number of these bagged-and-tagged items available for sale here. Even the header-art had a story by itself! Find out more here!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK