TOYSREVIL's Top 10 Art Toys of 2013


With my Toys Reviewed in 2013 published, and finding out what my readers' own favorites are, it's time now for my own list of the TOP 10 ART TOYS OF 2013, in absolute reference to my own personal collection, of course. *ENJOY*

NUMBER TEN:

Both ROTTWEILER HERPES and CANNIBAL FUCKFACE are designed and created by Johnny Ryan, and I have longed to own them both, but had not the opportunity nor the financial resources to, until they were eventually listed online for sales by the figure producers; Monster Worship (both listed at different times tho), and I promptly went ahead and blew my toy-wads on them!

This splendid pink+purple colorway of C.F. was released circa SDCC, and reminds me somewhat of bigger-sized bootleg figures found in the East, and that's a compliment from where I'm at hahaha

Now they are happy together, chaos havoc in TOYSREVILAND! muahahahahaha

NUMBER NINE:

Frankly I am uber-jazzed about Daniel Yu's REBECA MORTIS - with the size of this original sculpt reminding me of his Playmobil-customs, when I first met him not too long ago… memory still fresh, and the excitement for his works remain still, and that is something far more valuable to me, than "instant visual gratification" these days, IMHO. Independent toys from independent artists FTW! Kudos, Daniel!

Expect a closer look at these in 2014.

NUMBER EIGHT:

I heart my BIG BONER … from Ron English x Blackbook Toy! Although I've yet to even open the plastic-baggie, it lays still beside me at my work-top, hollowed eye-sockets starring intently at me, egging to be ripped opened from, and it's big bones pawed … This I will do in 2014, once I find a decent place for it to be displayed in the open, and not kept in a carton coffin somewhere in my collection.

Why I heart my Big Boner? Because it is awesome. That is all :)

NUMBER SEVEN:

Jeffrey Lamm's MECHA GREASEBAT fulfills my desire to see a kaiju made mecha, and fighting on the side of the angels, no less! Wish I could afford a fleet of these Mecha, perfect for customizing a squad of kaiju-killers ala Pacific Rim hahaha

I love it when I can play with my toys :)

NUMBER SIX:

I managed to score this particular MUCKEY direct from INSTINCTOY when they had a booth at STGCC2013, and this piece held a significance for me personally, a memento of the time I had spent thinking about wanting to score the figure, and finding it was sold out, and finally convincing Hiroto to sell me this display piece.

And while the flocked tummy no longer feels as such, the notion of the 'desire' and hunt, reminded me of the good old days when toys were harder to access, and when funds were severely limited hahahaha

MUCKEY is designed by Hiroto Ohkubo himself, and this Baby Blue colorway is the first release for the vinyl piece. Loving the aesthetics blurring the lines of cuddly and deadly, with the pop-up knead showing the teeth a fantastic "surprise". *LOVE*

NUMBER FIVE:

TaskOne's begun his Pillaging Pop Culture series with bringing to toy-life self-casted and painted homages to The Muppets! Being able to own a few of these babies truly brought a joy to my heart, remembering the good old days when childhood was all about the WAKA-WAKAs and Connection to Rainbows.

A swell marriage of art toy sensibilities and aesthetics, and a jaunt down memory lane. Potent. Powerful. Wonderful. Kudos, TaskOne!

NUMBER FOUR:

BAD APPLE LIQUID EROSION (GOIN Edition) from GOIN x Mighty Jaxx x INSTINCTOY is my first and only Bad Apple in my humble collection, and I am esthetic! Long since wanting to score one - and totally missing out in every other edition - this particular version is a "new" interpretation of the Award-winning "Best Resin" collectible made in collaboration with Japan's Instinctoy, and features a "melting" surface, clad in black and white = one of the awesomenest color-schemes for this lady, IMHO!

Expect a close-up of her in 2014.

NUMBER THREE:

Besides scoring huge on my instagram views, this HALF-MERMAID from McBess stands proudly by my desk (and most times on the dining table opposite ;p), and is a swell representation of the British illustrator's art.

Also my vote for "Sexiest Babe in Toyland 2013"!

NUMBER TWO:

Okay, I am "cheating" here … Tied between a trio of releases from QUICCS, with Assault & Batteryz, Pirated Trooper Dunny and the STGCC-Edition TOYSREVIL-exclusive TEQ63 - is the number Two spot in my TOP 10 ART TOYS of 2013!

Blasting into the stratosphere within a short amount of time, with his sheer grit, handwork and tenacity, bolstered by his mecha-licious design sensibilities, make for someone to keep a watchful eye for.

The fact that these figures are designed by himself, is a splendid representation of what he is capable of. Watch out world, for Hidden Fortress!

NUMBER ONE:

Nothing beats a personalized / bespoke item, and Lisa Rae Hansen's TOYSREVIL-Edition MEGASETH totally rocked my toy-world! Leaving me humbled and honored, and exceedingly happy, the resin collectible features the hallmarks of Lisa Rae's works: fuss-free but effective design, and clean workmanship! Thanks for the lure. Lisa Rae!
DISCLAIMER: The toys / collectibles listed here are items I procured and owned in 2013, and might not necessarily be released in 2013.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK