Winston Leong's Top Ten Toys For 2014

WHAT-IS: *Celebrating 2015 with a series of "TOP TEN TOYS FOR 2014" as picked by fellow plastic-crack-addicts … eerrr … I meant "fellow toy collectors"! It doesn't have to be released in 2014, it just has to be purchased / gifted / unboxed in 2014. Living my toy-dreams vicariously through you collections! Share Your Toy-Joy, people!* [CLICK to read all]
"It's actually really difficult to come up with a top ten list of toys for 2014 as every piece I have ever bought I must love before I even consider forking out money to collect. So I decided to look at this list from another perspective. Every toy I selected (and bought) in the list has a certain special reason or story behind it..." -shared Winston Leong. Check out his IG @winzleong for all the TOYS and happenings in Hong Kong!
(#10) Love Machine (Summer Wars) from Figma

WHY: "Okay... So this ain't no art toy but the mere design of this character made me fell in love with it and the figure kinda does it justice... I knew about the movie way after it was released hence when I saw someone selling it and not at a heavenly price I knew I had to own it!"

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#9) Tofu Oyako Original Gashapon / Devilrobots

WHY: "This was what originally started me on collecting designer toys... A friend gave me 5 of these as gifts after visiting HK who felt I might like this even though he probably didn't know who the designer was or what the character was about... Chanced on this whilst online shopping I knew I had to get the complete set! And I did... Getting it really reminded me how I started on this crazy road to toy collecting..."

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#8) Muckey 4th Rainbow GID from Instinctoy

WHY: "Have seen instinctoy stuff for a few years at TTF but nothing really caught my attention until this guy was released... love the use of different materials and the fact the head could be adjusted to reveal the teeth... And who doesn't love Glow In The Dark toys???"

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#7) Kiefer by Prodip Leung

WHY: "When I learnt that the mascot of Toy Soul was going to be Kiefer, I really hoped that it could be made into some sort of a figure and when I found out that my dreams came true, I of course had to get my hands on it. This is my first Prodip piece and I'm hoping it doesn't stop there as I am a fan of his art works..."

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#6) Lepus Pellis Os Omentum (Unflocked) from Nychos x Mightyjaxx

WHY: "My most expensive single piece but I do not regret getting it... love the sculpt and how it brought the painting to life... Am sad I couldn't afford the full coloured one but owning this was good enough for me..."

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#5) Soul Maxx by Michael Lau

WHY: "I have not been a collector of Michael Lau's figures although I do appreciate his stuff but when I saw this really limited edition figure (sold only at toy soul and sold out within the day it was launched) I knew I had to get my hands on it. It felt like it'd fit perfectly into whatever I have owned (and how toys look together when displayed is really an important factor for my purchases). What sealed the deal was the face paintjob and basically the clothing which didn't feel so street and somewhat more fashion forward?"

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#4) The Lamp by Sticky Monster Lab / SML

WHY: "Not my first SML toy but definitely my favourite. Have always been a "lights" person and to have a cool ass figure which also functions as a light definitely made me had to own this. It really was a difficult piece to get as by the time I got to TTF it was already sold out. I only managed to get this after searching for it for a while online and with very little stock and no knowledge of Korean (it's really tough to buy Korean toys online due language and system issues)..."

A video posted by @winzleong on

(#3) Sideways from Yoskay Yamamoto x Mightyjaxx

WHY: "This kinda reminds me of tofu but somewhat more arty... Have been checking out his works before this was available and at this price range it's definitely a piece worth collecting..."

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#2) Casting Shadows Pain by Coarse

WHY: "The piece that I regretted not getting at their exhibition in Taipei (you could also say the piece that got me hooked to coarse) love the theme and their design aesthetic and decisions. And who would ever think someone would include a "floating" kite into their toys?"

A photo posted by @winzleong on

(#1) THE PASSAGE by COARSE

WHY: "When I saw photos that coarse sent through their emailer, I knew I had to get it... Personally, this to me is probably one of their best work so far. So why was this special to me? Because it took me a while to think if I wanted to get it due to it's hefty price tag... but thinking about how I'd regret not getting it and how much it'll cost to get it through the flippers, I made the jump..."
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK