Philip Lee for *BYEBYE 2017 HELLO 2018* On TOYSREVIL


Hong Kong Designer Philip Lee burst unto the toy-scene with his "Classic" CLASSICBOT creation (previously featured on this blog as "MacinBot"), charming the designer-set with his articulated toy collectible (based on the irresistible memory of the Apple personal computer), that is unassumingly playable, and collectible without the burden of "investment" as most "designer toys" are wont to be, providing the masses with accessibility and as importantly (*especially in an age of "higher-priced collectibles"); "affordability".

This Tuesday on TOYSREVIL I am presenting a two-part Q&A with Philip, with THIS being the *BYEBYE 2017 HELLO 2018* feature, while later in the day we'll see what his #toptentoysof2017 are!

(*Image above is his #BestNine from Instagram @classicbot_to)


TOYSREVIL: How was 2017 for you? Share with us your most triumphant moment in 2017. What did you find the most disappointed of 2017?
PHILLP LEE: "2017 Was an awesome year to me. Even though my toy debuted in Toysoul 2016 in Hong Kong, my brand Classicbot is officially launched this year. After a long period of waiting, our first product Classicbot Classic started shipping out in September this year. It was really amazing to see people interact with the product you created. So far the feedback on the Classic is really positive. Another highlight in 2017 was going to Thailand Toy Expo.  It was a great way to meet fellow makers and all the toy lovers in the world. Which also led to my first limited edition: Thailand Special Edition, which most people refer to as the Tron version.

It has been a great year, the only disappointment is my failure to deliver the toys sooner as promised."

TOYSREVIL: What is your most favorite toy, or piece of art you've seen in 2017?
PHILLP LEE: "My favorite piece of art of 2017 is the movie is "Blade Runner 2049". A sequel to the Blade Runner that not only lives up to its name but expands the world in a very convincing way, yet the story remain very personal.  It is truly amazing."


Presenting "iBot G3"! It is molded in transparent plastic. Guess what color it will come in besides bondi blue?
TOYSREVIL: What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Any plans for your work, for the new year you can share with us?
PHILLP LEE: "I am really looking forward to expanding my product line. The Trashbot and Friends playset will start pre-order on the 1st of February. I hope to introduce 3 new toys in the latter half of the year.  My brand will expand beyond toy too. I just finished designing some enamel pins and I also have plans to design something furniture related. I am super excited, hope I can deliver all that. Oh, I am also planning to go to Designer Con in the States. It will be a dream come true for me."



A post shared by classicbot (@classicbot_toy) on


TOYSREVIL: Share with us, WHO you are and what you do?
PHILLP LEE: "I am Philip Lee, founder and designer of playsometoys in Hong Kong.  Classicbot is the first toyline from playsometoys. Right now it is all a part-time job. I hope to fo full-time asap. I am a family man with 2 girls, big time geek.

My biggest inspirations are animes and product designs from the 80s and early 90s.
You can find out more about my work at acebook.com/classicbot
and instagram.com/classicbot_toy"
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK