#iCollect: Pinky:St

Starting a new weekly/biweekly serial feature on TOYSREVIL-Wednesdays with "Hump Day" being the newly dedicated "Hobby Day" - where we take a look at YOUR toy collection! But not just any old toy collection encompassing a huge variety of makes and types, but a collection with a singular theme / focus, along with a little Q&A to find out how you and your collection TICK!

And while I sort out the coming week's features, I'll start the ball rolling with introducing to you folks my own lesser-known toy-guilty-pleasure = #iCollect PINKY:ST!

(Disclaimer: Please do pardon the somewhat-weird narcissisticalish self-answering Q&A, but this is to give you folks an idea of the questions to expect, if you intend to join in the showcase fun! Email me direct at "topysreviler [at] gmail.com", thanks!)
WHAT-IS: "Pinky:St (ピンキーストリート?), also written Pinky Street, are plastic (PET) figures designed by BabySue and manufactured by the Japanese company Vance Project. Their distinguishing feature is the interchangeable parts. The heads, hair styles, clothing and accessories can easily be switched between figures according to taste. The figures are about 10 cm (4 in) tall and compatible with 1:18 scale dollhouses, furniture, vehicles and other accessories. Many special edition Pinky:st figures have been produced based on characters from Japanese anime, manga and video games." (Wikipedia)

QTN: What's your name and age?

TOYSREVIL: My name is Andy but you folks also know me as "TOYSREVIL", and I have been a toy-addict for nearly 25 of my 44+ years of life.

QTN: What do you do for a living?

TOYSREVIL: I blog, and play with toys. But if you mean "earning a decent income to survive by", then I can be considered "in-between jobs".

QTN: WHY Pinky:St?

TOYSREVIL: I do not necessarily know HOW it started … it might be perhaps I was in-between collecting toys (You know how that's like, folks … the vacuum always needs to be filled LOL), might be slightly after collecting 1/6th-scale and before I dived into BE@RBRICKS and other platform-based toys/figurines.

Moe likely than not, it might have been the result of a "reaction" from collecting "urban vinyls", and the lack of ability to "play" with them, because what else can you do but display them? And some you dare not remove from box too hahahahaha

I admittedly enjoyed the "interchangeable" aspect of the figurine - very much like 1/6-scaled figures, and even reminded me of Playmobil - and the nature of "playability" of the line, appealed to me personally. And the anime-kawaii-adorability factor is undeniable!



QTN: When friends ask you, how do you describe to them, or what do you call what you collect?

TOYSREVIL: I remember distinctly trying to explain to a hospital staff nurse from where I was staying for Stroke-recovery back in 2010 … I had opened a gift box/parcel containing a custom hand-painted Dunny from the lovely Sarah "Lunabee" Miskelly, and the nurse was quite charmed by what she saw … but by having no concept of "art toys", it was quite a chore to explain to her what it was … I try to do so online back in 2006 tho (but I reckon I might need to re-read that piece again ;p).

As for friends who collect "toys", I will always remember that particular nick my 1/6th-hobby buddies used to call me; "SMLCAB-Man". As for what the acronym meant, well, all I will say is, it essentially translates to "anything-genital-Hokkein-reference-Can-Also-Buy" ;p

Regardless, my collecting focus is too eclectic - and while my current Pinky:St collection is not exactly "huge", this is one way I can organize and showcase at the very least one aspect of my toy-hoard LOL



QTN: Which is your "most expensive" single piece in the collection? Based on how valuable they are now in the aftermarket, or how expensive you bought them for in the first place?

TOYSREVIL: Trick question, as I have no particular idea either way! All I know is, I used to buy Pinky:St years ago when they were SGD$5.90 per single blister-carded pieces, then I feel off the grid collecting them (as I had lost interest, or rather focused my expenditure into other pursuits), and only came back on not more than month ago, when my neighborhood hobby store had them on sale - and I managed to score stuff I had wanted before but could not afford to!

But if memory serves, I bought this single blister-carded CAINE figure from a flea market years back, for a price I never thought I would part with (which I cannot for the life of me remember "how much")! Ironically, I would find and purchase the tiresome as local hobby shop at a discount years later :p



QTN: Which singular item is your most treasured/cherish? And why?

TOYSREVIL: I'd cop out and list these three designs from Range Murata X Youki Kanaya , well simply because they aesthetically rock my retro-futurist-loving-world! But push comes to shove, it will be this single design of "Caine" - the eye-patch gets to me, you know? :)



QTN: Any particular piece you think not many folks have seen before?

TOYSREVIL: I think there is a whole heck more I need to see for myself in the first place! What I would like to see instead, are licenses for anime such as LAST EXILE, LAST EXILE: FAM THE SILVER WING - my dream concept collectibles, actually! AND Range Murata had also done conceptual design work on Last Exile and Blue Submarine No. 6.

ANd I am desperately trying NOT to scan thru the pages on www.pinky-street.com, as toy-temptation lurks at every corner!


QTN: Is there a "Holy Toy Grail" you are looking for?

TOYSREVIL: There are more than one! First up are "Vehicles"! I wish to one day be able to acquire the Rabbit Scooters / Vespa(s) and car (Messerschmitt Mitt KR200 Ver.1)! And maybe get some "guys" for the gals, so everyone could have a party hahahaha … But I am interested to see the AIRGEAR Versions up close and personal too!


(Above pic via Tamayose Guenaelle)


(Airgear packaging pics via Air Teck)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK