#throwbacktoythursday: pain 1:3 from coarse



Released in 2007, to much somewhat surprise to the scene, and silent anticipation - as that era of art toys could witness - and became a niche sensation, and a highly sort after piece, especially here in the East (that I know of anyways) - was coarse's "pain 1:3" vinyl figure - limited to 200pcs.


Within the lush box were cushions which also acted as "coffin liners" for the 26" tall figure within, bandaged with splotches of blood red, and dripping down the side of the characters's mouth, this was truly a unique piece amidst a world of cute characters and urbanized genre concepts, especially in 2007.

Contained were also two skate boards, a sticker sheet, and a fold out poster. Not a whole lot of practitioners in the scene then had put so much effort and thought into a package, methinks. In my opinion, coarse had set a standard of presentation that has become one of their hallmarks, until this day and age, and a benchmark for which "art toys" of said price-range are measured against.


Beyond "pretty toys" lies a story, which I had revealed mush, until today …

This collectible remains one of the extremely few times in my blogging tenure that I had actually asked the creator for! Having had the chance to converse online with Mark Landwehr, I had unashamedly asked for apiece, thinking he'd find me insane and laugh off my request, imagine my utter surprise (and "horror", I lie not to you folks) when the item appeared my doorstep.

If memory serves, the shipping itself cost more than the contents itself! But alas, I was not exactly "prompt" with my review of the piece (not that that was ever prerequisite, I think? :p), and my first post (circa 2007) was perhaps missed out by readers …


Seen here today is the most concerted collection of images I have presented so far on the blog!

No small wonder correspondence has but all ceased, and the unfortunate part of it all, was that both Mark and Sven Waschk were 'guests' at STGCC 2012 here in Singapore, and I had zero chance of meeting them (while busy tending to my own Artist Alley booth), which frankly I did not expect them to had wanted to meet me anyways - who can blame anyone in such a circumstance? … Nevertheless, the piece remains an exceptional slice of "art toy" - representing the uniqueness of "art" and "design", which happened to be encapsulated in a "commercial product".

A Full array of images has been posted HERE on my dedicated Facebook album … and as for folks' enquiries to take the piece off my hands (all these years), here's a reason why it wouldn't really work for YOU the collectors, maybe … and can you guess who shredded the box? (*Hint - the ginger-guilty-looking critter starring back at you-"WHO ME?"-innocently in the top picture...) LOL

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK